propane burner in a reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And of course, here is my wacky reverse flow plate ideal......and remember, the Wright Bro's went through a few designs too......

Im going to weld in a f-f 3/4 coupling into the left side of the chamber, and just cut a 1 1/4 hole at the end of the grease trap on the right ,  This will alow me to remove the pipe through the firebox if ever need be. There should not be much of a gap around the pipe to let enough air through to worry about.

If my reverse flow holes are not big enough, I can just punch a few holes in with a hole saw on the top plates towards that end. But Im kind of excited about the way it is now.

8656beb8_gasreverseflow.png

Its 3/16" plate, so I was using the Lincoln 180t with 030 solid, until I ran out of wire 1/2 way through, so I finished with .045 inner shield on the old 400 amp rectifier machine. Had to just kind of dab it in with that one.

I have been eye balling lincolns power mig 350mp pretty hard lately, probably going to set up a demo. It looks like such a sweet machine.

Well, I got propane burner made, but going on vacation for a week, so I wont have anything together real soon. but should go together fast when I get back.

RW,

You are one great fabricator.  You make this look too easy.  I take it you either do welding / fab professionally or have been at it for for years.  I choose both.  Keep the pictures / projects coming, I really do enjoy seeing a master at work!

I have never done it for a living, but have employeed some very talented welders over the years and picked up everything I could from them. I think once you start building things, regardless of wood, metal, clay, etc. ..most of the skills cary over to each other.  And I have always been building one thing or another since I was a kid.

I think having a Lego set as a kid helps as well.

Anyway, thank you very much for the compliments!!!!

So, Opinions on stainless steel cooking grates. ...3/8" rounds...... vs ....1/4 " flatbar 1/2" wide.      Just about the same price, Im just thinking the flatbar would be better for cleaning and burgers. Id space both at 1/4" gaps Im thinking.

If it were mine I would go with the rounds, got them on my Weber Summit and love em, but to be fair I never cooked on flat bars.

I would think the opposite, that the rounds would clean up easier due to less surface area in contact with the food, more sticking with the flatbars too.?

I'm with Sqwib, I'd go with round... square I think would "catch" more of the food if you were moving it across the grates too.

Ok, rounds it will be, Lowes has a little stainless grill gridle that can be used for start/searing burgers, so that takes care of that.      Im back off of vacation, I did a lil bbq'in and got myself all stoked up to get this one done.

Ill be working on the firebox this week getting it ready to mount to the cooking chamber and then fabricating the stand, once I get it together, Ill be able to fire up the gas and see if it works.

If anyone knows where to get those steel wagon wheels like the Horizons have., at a decent price, PLEASE let me know.

Yes, just never finished painting or trimming it out. Sitting in the garage next to another one, when I get the one I'm doing now ready for blast and paint , I will do all three at the same time.

There were a couple of things I did not like about it, and I've decided if you want a gas grill, use a gas grill , so I'm just building me a nice reverse flow right now and I'm going to use my stainless steel grates in it rather than in one I'm probably just going to give away.

Not to say, if I ever get around to replacing #19 with a 250g version, it will have twin propane rods.  Just in this size smoker, there just isnt enough room to really do it right, so you end up with a half ass one or the other.

But you never learn by theory do you.....

Hello Ribwizard - been reading this post for help on my 275 gallon oil tank RF smoker build.

I would like your opinion - and others - on what the spacing between the RF plate and the first cooking surface should be with the idea of using removable propane pipe burners.

Hello Ribwizard - been reading this post for help on my 275 gallon oil tank RF smoker build.

I would like your opinion - and others - on what the spacing between the RF plate and the first cooking surface should be with the idea of using removable propane pipe burners.
As far as RF plate spacing, I have seen 2" to 5"  on this forum. 

RG

I have always built my burners out of iron pipe and welded them into the cooker under the reverse flow plate, or under the baffle plate in earlier builds. A 275 is going to need some BTU to do any good. Id want five or six feet of flame in one that size. I have 5ft in #19 and its just about right.

What I'm saying is, might want to re-think the remove able part, and plan on mounting them in down low, where its easier to feed them fresh air, and then you wont be worried about spacing under your bottom rack.

Reactions: qwikrnu bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky