Project Genoa...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thats beautiful! I’m right behind you...
F1F6765F-AFED-43E0-B034-4B2B4CD22CBE.jpeg
just got the humidifier and my Bluetooth temp and humidity monitor. I can’t wait to get it all set up.

Reactions: indaswamp
You'll have to see how it works out, but I had to move my dehumidifier to the top rack with the sensor laying on the top rack.... airflow was the main issue.

Reactions: 73saint
Set up looks good...what model refrigerator is that? I like that you can use dowels. Are those wood or PVC? Can't tell from the pic....

Set up looks good...what model refrigerator is that? I like that you can use dowels. Are those wood or PVC? Can't tell from the pic....
They are 5/8” poplar wood dowels. They fit the grooves perfectly. I just rounded them off w some 60 grit (prob unnecessary).
It’s a Danby 11cf mini fridge. I toiled with what model to buy, I wanted frost free but for the CF of this “ mini” fridge I had to give it a shot.

You'll have to see how it works out, but I had to move my dehumidifier to the top rack with the sensor laying on the top rack.... airflow was the main issue.
Good info, thanks. I also think this extra size will give me that flexibility as well. I can simply add a shelf back to the top and put the dehumidifier there. I’m testing it now.
Not to derail but how do you avoid the humidifier getting moisture directly on the meat? Or is that unavoidable?

That turned out great swamp. I need to get some stuff in my chamber. Its running but empty.

Good info, thanks. I also think this extra size will give me that flexibility as well. I can simply add a shelf back to the top and put the dehumidifier there. I’m testing it now.
Not to derail but how do you avoid the humidifier getting moisture directly on the meat? Or is that unavoidable?
I just try not to hang salamis right in front of it... try to angle the vapor nozzle away if you can, if not, give the nozzle about 6" clearance from the salamis.

Side note, if some of your salamis start to case harden, you can hang them in front of the humidifier to soften up the casings; lengthen the string, invert them, etc... until the casings soften up. This will work unless the casings are very case hardened.
Spots to watch out for are the tops of the salamis...after about 3 weeks, I inverted my salamis. You'll have to monitor as you go...

Last edited:
They are 5/8” poplar wood dowels. They fit the grooves perfectly. I just rounded them off w some 60 grit (prob unnecessary).
It’s a Danby 11cf mini fridge. I toiled with what model to buy, I wanted frost free but for the CF of this “ mini” fridge I had to give it a shot.
So the one you have is not frost free?

I thought I had posted a pic. of the Genoa after drying but guess not.
This is after 35% weight loss..

View attachment 456483
View attachment 456484

I let it keep drying and actually just finished the last of it 5 days ago. I like it best as a hard salami. Time to make more...
DAMN!!!!!
Oh, my Lord that looks flatout AMAZING.
You absolutely freak'in nailed it.
My Papa use to hang his Salami, Coppacollo, Prosciutto, Speck, Soppressata, Capicola, Cacciatore , Bresaola, Pacetta, Lardo, Crudo, Guanciale and Pepperoni in his root cellar along with his homemade Dego Red. My brothers and me used to sneak a loaf of Nona's Sicilian bread and go to town on Papa's cured meats and drink his Dego red right out of the oak barrel from the spigot when we were kids. It was worth taking the chance of getting caught. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_thumbsup:

I wish I was older when he passed, so he could've taught me the old school ways of curing meats and making wine. I was only about 15 yrs old when he passed.… But I can still smell the goodness that came wafting out of his root cellar like it was yesterday. The same goes with the smells of Nona's kitchen she baked bread every single morning before everyone woke up, then she cooked all day for everyone in the family, heck and anyone that happened to be hungry(She was an incredible lady) that loved everyone through their stomachs.

Damn, I miss them SOOOOOO badly.

Please, teach your kids if you have kids, if not teach someone's kids how to cure and smoke meat...they will love you for it forever when you're gone.

Awesome job.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Correct. Is that a huge issue?
Frost free refrigerators and freezers will eliminate moisture on the cooling cycle. Humidity condenses on the Evap. coil and drips down into the floor drain. Non frost free has coils in the walls or racks with no airflow over them. Moisture will condense on the coils (racks) or on the walls during the cooling cycle. It is harder to control humidity in a non frost free unit when using it as a drying chamber.
Your biggest challenge will not be lack of humidity, but too much and how to eliminate it without too much airflow...

We shall see I guess. It’s been very stable so far, but I also don’t have any meat in it. If I have to switch units I don’t mind. I’ve come this far.

We shall see I guess. It’s been very stable so far, but I also don’t have any meat in it. If I have to switch units I don’t mind. I’ve come this far.
I will try to help if you run into problems, but my unit is frost free and yours will behave differently.... You will likely need auxiliary air flow, the dehumidifier may not be enough....at least in the beginning when the most moisture is pulled out of the meat.

Hey Dan- I have been watching a lot of American Italian youtubes of people making salamis using old school methods. That is one great thing about youtube.....

Reactions: forktender
Hey Dan- I have been watching a lot of American Italian youtubes of people making salamis using old school methods. That is one great thing about youtube.....
I will check it out if I can find it.
If not I will ask you for a link to one of the videos.

Thanks a bunch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky