Productive day yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I got a tad ambitious yesterday. Got a load of jerky going using Dales steak sauce recipe.
Just under 6 pounds of meat. I used Milanesa. And cut into strips
3 cups soy sauce
1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons liquid smoke, I used hickory
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 dash paprika
1 dash pepper, I used white pepper.
Cure #1 I used slightly over 1 teaspoon.
Put in oven at 170 with door cracked open. Took 3 loads to finish. Each load took 4 hours.

PC040013.JPG

Just about 3 pounds of great tasting jerky. This recipe has become one of my favorites.

And while that was going on. I got a batch of pickles going. Bought 3 pounds of mighty cuke pickling cucumbers. Trimmed ends and cut into spears.

PC040007.JPG

Here they are soaking in the brine before packing. I got lazy. And used the Ball Kosher dill pickle kit.

PC040009.JPG

Jarred with fresh dill. And vacuum sealed. The Ball pickle blend is pretty good. Not as good as my recipe. But quick and easy.

Looks good Steve. Pickles are one thing on my list to do this winter. Never tried it but always see your posts. And the family loves pickles

Steve, that all looks GREAT!! I've used the Ball Kosher Dill before and it really is pretty good...

Busy day Steve

Jerky looks good, is it a soft jerky or pretty solid

Pickles look nice and crisp. I did not get to make any pickles this year ( normally mustard and B + B ). I was waiting for the cukes to go on for a good price. I kick my arse now for not getting them , but at $1.79 each I just could not do it. But now miss having them on shelf to grab. I find English cukes just don't pickle the same as they are cheaper

David

Dude! I'll take a jar of pickles and a pound of jerky, Mighty good looking stuff,
Jim

Looks good Steve. Pickles are one thing on my list to do this winter. Never tried it but always see your posts. And the family loves pickles
Thanks! There are soo many ways to make pickles. Give it a try.

Steve, that all looks GREAT!! I've used the Ball Kosher Dill before and it really is pretty good...
Thank you!

Busy day Steve

Jerky looks good, is it a soft jerky or pretty solid

More on the solid side. Though not tough at all.

Pickles look nice and crisp. I did not get to make any pickles this year ( normally mustard and B + B ). I was waiting for the cukes to go on for a good price. I kick my arse now for not getting them , but at $1.79 each I just could not do it. But now miss having them on shelf to grab. I find English cukes just don't pickle the same as they are cheaper

David
Thanks David. English cukes aren't bad if you do them chunk style. What I don't like are regular cukes with large seeds in them. The jerky was more on the solid side. But easy to chew and not tough at all.

Good stuff. The Ball taste good and makes it easier. I just toss in some garlic and Habanero's.
Thanks Brian! After I sealed them I noticed I had a pint jar of pickled garlic that I could have added. Oh well.

Dude! I'll take a jar of pickles and a pound of jerky, Mighty good looking stuff,
Jim
Thank you Jim!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I have a bottle of Dale's in the fridge that I was thinking about using for a jerky marinade last week. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a bottle of Dale's in the fridge that I was thinking about using for a jerky marinade last week. Thanks for the reminder.

I can buy that here now as well. But I saved a couple bucks by making my own. Though, I have been thinking about getting a bottle. And see how close it is in flavor to the real deal.

Awesome, I need to do jerkey, soooo expensive to buy. How do you cut the meat and what thickness? ( I don't have a slicer) never heard of Milanesa

Awesome, I need to do jerkey, soooo expensive to buy. How do you cut the meat and what thickness? ( I don't have a slicer) never heard of Milanesa
Thanks! Milanesa is thin cut breaded meat that is fried. And served different ways. This is cut 1/8" or so. I usually cut it at 1/4". For large batches I use my slicer. Small batches I use a jerky board.
Ultimate Jerky Board & Knife - Hi Mountain Seasonings (himtnjerky.com)

Looks great Steve now I hankering for some jerky !
Thank you!

Looks like some great jerky Steve. Pickles are good year round :emoji_wink:
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky