Processing Week 2023...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...and Add 2 more. New member shot a doe, his first deer in 10 years. And another member's grandson shot his first buck; a little 6 pt.... no pics. yet. Will post when I get them.

That makes 19 deer for processing day.

Been taking it easy on my elbow so really have not done much lately. Trying to let it heal up for processing day...which has been set. Big day is Feb.18. Then I'll be doing final grind and stuffing the wild hog/domestic hog smoke sausage on the 19th. Will smoke probably Tuesday, 21st....and 22nd if we have more than 120# of smoke sausage.

Just found out there will be a quarterly one day meat sale this Thursday Feb. 9th. and butts will be $0.99/#.... Awesome! Perfect timing!

Sounds like your gonna have a good day processing and several more doing sausage and smoking but then some fine dining. What do you do with all the backstraps give everybody some to cook on their own or you do something else like save for firehouse cooks?

So all the deer that we kill have been deboned, fat removed, and sorted/vacsealed. The back straps, roasts, and stew meat have already been processed and into the freezer. The meat for grind from eash deer is vac sealed in large 10-12# bags and ready for the grinder. We will be mixing and grinding the deer and pork only. There won't be any back straps in the building on that day....

OK now I'm starting to understand it I thought you were breaking it all down on that one day.
Most of the time anymore I make mine real easy keep the backstrap separate and put all the rest into bags and vacuum seal for grind, clean up the backstraps and vacuum seal them.

Sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. You probably mentioned the number of people who are part of the process, but I wish had the time and resources to come out and help, and watch and learn. What and experience it would be.

Sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. You probably mentioned the number of people who are part of the process, but I wish had the time and resources to come out and help, and watch and learn. What and experience it would be.
Usually between 4-6 people are available. Been doing this long enough that everyone pretty much knows what to do so it flows smoothly.

Boston Butt sale today...
IMG_20230209_123756.jpg

I bought 5 double packs and my cousin did the same. Over 200# of domestic pork. Whatever is left over from processing the deer meat we will take it and mix with the 55# of wild hog for a big run of cajun smoke sausage.

Tonight at the firehouse we took the 220# of Boston Butts and deboned them and cut into chunks to fit the grinder. Prep for the big day Saturday....

Weather is looking GREAT! 33*F forecast for the low, high of 52*F so that is about perfect! We'll open the doors and let the Cold NW wind blow through the kitchen to keep everything COLD! Awesome!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I pulled out 57# of wild hog frozen in bulk and 68# of venison meat frozen in bulk, put that in a 160qt. ice chest with water to thaw for the big day Saturday. We chunk up the beef sirloin tonight. I'll have to check but it is like 80-100# of lean meat.
Dad picked up the order of beef fat, 40#....and I picked up 60# of pork fat from my Uncle. All in total I think we have over 300# of pork both wild and domestic.

Chunked up 80# of beef sirloin, 55# beef prime ribeye fat, and 60# pork back fat at the firehouse tonight.
IMG_20230216_210448.jpg

Also decided to make 25# of jalapeno and cheese smoke sasuage so I went to the grocer and picked up 3# of fresh jalapenos and 3# of extra sharp cheddar. Got that diced up-peppers in the dehydrator and the diced cheese on a tray in the fridge to dry out a little for better bind.
IMG_20230216_202742.jpg

IMG_20230216_202736.jpg

Reactions: TKOBBQ1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky