Processing Week 2023...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks awesome I'd bet that's gonna be some good eats right there

Also, when you do something like this yourself you get all the care, craft, and quality you want to put into it.
When you take it to a processer they just chop and go!

If you want it to be a better product than the processor then it will be a better product, hands down :)

People keep asking me when I am going to start processing deer for profit. I tell them No way I could make and sell what I make for myself for a profit....too much time into it.

The absolute ONLY way I would even consider it would be that the meat HAS to be deboned and brought to me the way you want it put into the grinder. If you want the deer fat left on (which I do not recommend) then that is what you will get back. But there is no money in that as a deer processor. If people take the time to debone and trim fat....chances are they process their own meat anyhow.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
People keep asking me when I am going to start processing deer for profit. I tell them No way I could make and sell what I make for myself for a profit....too much time into it.

The absolute ONLY way I would even consider it would be that the meat HAS to be deboned and brought to me the way you want it put into the grinder. If you want the deer fat left on (which I do not recommend) then that is what you will get back. But there is no money in that as a deer processor. If people take the time to debone and trim fat....chances are they process their own meat anyhow.
Exactly!

The debone and cleaning/trimming of the meat to remove all the unwanted stuff is the most grueling part of the process for me. No way to do that and make money unless you charge outrageous prices and people will just do it themselves lol.

Well, processing week 2023 is complete. Packaged the last of the cajun wild/domestic pork smoke sausage tonight...

114#...
IMG_20230225_163454.jpg

Thanks tallbm. Smoked with cherry and hickory....
Mmmmm good flavor! I like the color you have on yours. Almost all of my sausage comes out deep red or mahogany. It tastes great though.
I feel like the cure salt dye has a lot to do with the end color.

Any thoughts or wisdom on cure dye affecting sausage color?

Mmmmm good flavor! I like the color you have on yours. Almost all of my sausage comes out deep red or mahogany. It tastes great though.
I feel like the cure salt dye has a lot to do with the end color.

Any thoughts or wisdom on cure dye affecting sausage color?
The dye is not concentrated enough. To add more reddish tint to sausage, use paprika. To add more yellow, add tamarind root powder. For brownish, add oak to your smoke wood mix....

The dye is not concentrated enough. To add more reddish tint to sausage, use paprika. To add more yellow, add tamarind root powder. For brownish, add oak to your smoke wood mix....
Cool, thanks for the info. I think Pecan also leaves a brownish color as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky