Problem with fridge water dispenser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
The water dispenser in our fridge is most used appliance in the house. We don't cook or drink any water that's not been filtered through the fridge. And we drink a lot of water. The Whirlpool fridge has a built in filter but I've also put an in-line filter on the line coming into the fridge.

Our water flow got very slow. So I put a new filter in , flow got worse. Thinking I bought a defective filter, I put another new filter in and its no better. When I take the built in filter out, we get a strong flow.

After much Googling, I'm 98% sure its the water filter housing. Part is gonna cost $75 to $100. This seems to be a common problem but I've yet to find any info on why these fail. I'm thinking maybe I can take the old one out and clean it ? Anyone know if they can be salvaged ? I've got to think its clogged some how, though one repair service said something about a seal gone bad, which I think would cause a leak, rather than slow water flow.

I could just use the in-line filter and get by, but I've got a couple of brand new filters I'd like to get my money's worth from.

Filter housing is bad, pretty common , I suspect it's the 1 at the bottom? the water tubes are held in by rings you push in and pull the tube out at same time, make sure water is off, run water after changing and look for leaks at water valve after repair, heat will cause the orings to deteriorate then leak after a little wiggle on the lines, it will come out the front, 2 screws on bottom and take lines loose from the back so it can be pulled forward, be careful of the drain pan as they are thin and crack with little pressure on it,

Yes, its the one at the bottom. Was hoping there was a way to salvage the existing housing, but I ordered a new one and will be installing this morning.

Fridge is only three years old and I'm replacing parts. My previous Whirlpool went 19 years and is still in working order in my garage. My only problem with that one was with the ice maker that needed maintenance every few years.

Right now, we're dispensing water without a filter, and frankly, we like the increased flow. It fills up the coffee pot fast. I've got an in-line filter on the water line before it reaches the fridge. I would be OK with that one alone, but I got two new in-fridge filters I want to use.

So it could leak at the inlet water valve ? I'll watch for that.

Thanks !!

Reactions: JLeonard
Huh oh ............ that was not the problem.

It has to be the filter. I put the filter in the new housing and I get a trickle. I take the filter out and I get a strong stream.

I've bought two of these Whirlpool Everydrop filters and they both do the same thing.

Could it be something else ?

Huh oh ............ that was not the problem.

It has to be the filter. I put the filter in the new housing and I get a trickle. I take the filter out and I get a strong stream.

I've bought two of these Whirlpool Everydrop filters and they both do the same thing.

Could it be something else ?
I'm not repair man but........the water line going to the fridge is much smaller than a line going to your sink. I believe the secondary filter is slowing down the flow of the water due to that fact. Why do you need it to be double filtered? The built in filter should be enough

I'm not repair man but........the water line going to the fridge is much smaller than a line going to your sink. I believe the secondary filter is slowing down the flow of the water due to that fact. Why do you need it to be double filtered? The built in filter should be enough

Its not the same water line as supplies the house. Its a dedicated line to the fridge for ice / water.

We have some stuff in our water that cloggs up water inlet valves on the fridge. The dedicated water line first runs to this inlet valve. Then its distributed to the ice maker and I think it goes to water dispenser.

Water to the ice maker has to have some kind of timer that opens the valve long enough to fill the ice tray and then shuts off. I'm pretty sure that's on the water inlet valve.

When I first moved here in 1990, I was replacing these inlet valves every year until I wised up and put an in-line filter on the water line.

Here's my setup running into the fridge

20230224_100146.jpg

Last edited:
Its not the same water line as supplies the house. Its a dedicated line to the fridge for ice / water.

We have some stuff in our water that cloggs up water inlet valves on the fridge. The dedicated water line first runs to this inlet valve. Then its distributed to the ice maker and I think it goes to water dispenser.

Water to the ice maker has to have some kind of timer that opens the valve long enough to fill the ice tray and then shuts off.

When I first moved here in 1990, I was replacing these inlet valves every year until I wised up and put an in-line filter on the water line.

Here's my setup running into the fridge

View attachment 658568
Right but I'm saying you are restricting the pressure with the secondary filter. I don't see a workaround or fix for that other hand removing the secondary filter. Here's the only other thing I can think of. Since you are having issues with sediment in your actual fridge line, remove the filter inside the fridge and use the secondary one only since it is before the fridge line

Right but I'm saying you are restricting the pressure with the secondary filter. I don't see a workaround or fix for that other hand removing the secondary filter. Here's the only other thing I can think of. Since you are having issues with sediment in your actual fridge line, remove the filter inside the fridge and use the secondary one only since it is before the fridge line

Its been working fine up till now.

And for the past week we took the filter out of the fridge and working with just the in-line filter. It works great without the Whirlpool Everydrop filter.

Has to be a problem with the filter.

Its been working fine up till now.

And for the past week we took the filter out of the fridge and working with just the in-line filter. It works great without the Whirlpool Everydrop filter.

Has to be a problem with the filter.
Gotcha. I thought it was a recent install my apologies. So I understand correctly you changed filter brand/type?

Gotcha. I thought it was a recent install my apologies. So I understand correctly you changed filter brand/type?

No. I'm buying the same filter , its the Whirlpool recommended filter. But they were purchased 6 months apart.

I really don't understand what's happening. I'm hoping Mike shows up again.

I'm gonna have to take this new housing out of the fridge , that's if I can return it. It was almost a $100.

Sooo, I'm laying on the kitchen floor, pulling out the new filter housing I bought to replace ....... what I found to be a perfectly good filter housing.

And thinking about this sorryass Whirlpool fridge I bought just 3 years ago.
I should not be working on this thing.

I bought a cheap Whirlpool. And I bought cheap because if I bought the more expensive fridges, I would've gotten wifi and bluetooth and a computer display and the ability to program ......... and a whole bunch other worthless crap that I don't need.

I bought this cheap one because I just wanted a replacement for the 19 yo Whirlpool that currently was working fine for me. But I was afraid of that 19 yo fridge, I knew that on any day it was gonna go kaput and I would be out shopping for a replacement on the pronto.

And I've been thoroughly disgusted with the new one. Water dispenser is really important in this house and it fails in a major way. Im about ready to take a hit on the thing, sell it, and go try my luck with a new one.

Just what I'm thinking while I'm laying on the kitchen floor trying to get the tubing out of a filter housing so I can return it and start salvaging some of the $250 I've spent on this crappy piece of chit.

Sooo, I'm laying on the kitchen floor, pulling out the new filter housing I bought to replace ....... what I found to be a perfectly good filter housing.

And thinking about this sorryass Whirlpool fridge I bought just 3 years ago.
I should not be working on this thing.

I bought a cheap Whirlpool. And I bought cheap because if I bought the more expensive fridges, I would've gotten wifi and bluetooth and a computer display and the ability to program ......... and a whole bunch other worthless crap that I don't need.

I bought this cheap one because I just wanted a replacement for the 19 yo Whirlpool that currently was working fine for me. But I was afraid of that 19 yo fridge, I knew that on any day it was gonna go kaput and I would be out shopping for a replacement on the pronto.

And I've been thoroughly disgusted with the new one. Water dispenser is really important in this house and it fails in a major way. Im about ready to take a hit on the thing, sell it, and go try my luck with a new one.

Just what I'm thinking while I'm laying on the kitchen floor trying to get the tubing out of a filter housing so I can return it and start salvaging some of the $250 I've spent on this crappy piece of chit.
I just get 5 gallon jugs delivered $5.99/jug no delivery fees, free heater/cooler and it dispenses hot and cold water. Hot water is hot enough out of the spigot for really hot tea.

Sorry to hear your still having problems, I haven't ran into any filter problems for whirlpool brand filters, I can tell you Frigidaire and LG have had filter problems. the off brand filters have caused a lot of problems. if you are running a filter before the fridge your covered, the 5 year filters are guaranteed to not let mold ect grow in them or they were, I haven't bought 1 in a long time but at $50 something a pop I may add 1 to mine next

Sorry to hear your still having problems, I haven't ran into any filter problems for whirlpool brand filters, I can tell you Frigidaire and LG have had filter problems. the off brand filters have caused a lot of problems. if you are running a filter before the fridge your covered, the 5 year filters are guaranteed to not let mold ect grow in them or they were, I haven't bought 1 in a long time but at $50 something a pop I may add 1 to mine next

I just put a new 5 year on the water line. The water tastes fine and is just as clear as the WP Everydrop. And the flow is much faster.

Gonna try to return the housing and recover some money. I'm not sure about returning the filter to Amazon. The problem has to be the filter. I can't see anything else possible ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky