Probe calibration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
So I did the ice bath thing on my probes....All were right on 32 degrees. The question is should I do the boil test also?
Jim

I made a thread a couple weeks ago about checking your equipment, in my case it was a bad probe that wouldn't register temps over 210ish. While I didn't ruin the cook so bad that I had to pitch the meat, I did refuse to serve it to my family because the probe not reading properly cause me to skyrocket my CC temp and heavily over-smoked and quick cooked the chicken, loin, and ribs I had on.

I actually got to thinking about this problem yesterday, and it dawned on me that even if I had boil tested that probe; in that specific case I wouldn't have realized there was anything wrong with it because it would have registered closely enough to 212 degrees that I wouldn't have second guessed it.

With this in mind I decided maybe it's time to find a more accurate way to test beyond that boiling point temp.

Reactions: JLeonard
As a rule I normally cook above freezing so I do the boil test on occasion

I made a thread a couple weeks ago about checking your equipment, in my case it was a bad probe that wouldn't register temps over 210ish. While I didn't ruin the cook so bad that I had to pitch the meat, I did refuse to serve it to my family because the probe not reading properly cause me to skyrocket my CC temp and heavily over-smoked and quick cooked the chicken, loin, and ribs I had on.

I actually got to thinking about this problem yesterday, and it dawned on me that even if I had boil tested that probe; in that specific case I wouldn't have realized there was anything wrong with it because it would have registered closely enough to 212 degrees that I wouldn't have second guessed it.

With this in mind I decided maybe it's time to find a more accurate way to test beyond that boiling point temp.
Have you found a more accurate way to test yet?

Have you found a more accurate way to test yet?

I only just considered the concept yesterday so I haven't had much time to look into it. An obviously easy way would be to test them in an oven. But that would also require you to trust in the accuracy and consistency of your oven, in my oven's case I'd rather not waste my time even trying.

I'm hoping there is something more handheld that you could spend like 10 minutes checking 4-6 probes for accuracy.

Like BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma mentioned, find the true boiling temp at your elevation. Water boils at my house at 203° so this gives me one point on a two-point calibration scale. The ice water bath could be the second calibration point, but I use something close to 100° for my second calibration point. This way, if my thermometers are good at 100° and at 203° I can be reasonably assured that readings between the two points are within a degree or so.

Do the boil test. The higher you go in altitude, the lower your boiling point is going to be. The boiling point at sea level is 212°F and at my altitude of 4400 feet the boiling point is 204°F. YMMV-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky