Probably screwed this up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your shoulder is considered a whole intact muscle. A single puncture from a clean probe isn't going to change that. It's not like you stabbed it all over with an injection needle or probed for tenderness after a couple of hours. The meats surface temp was above the 140* after a few hours so that's safe. Don't worry and enjoy the shoulder.

Chris

ps: here's a good read from JJ

Reactions: Nefarious
If in oven, at what temp should oven be? My thought was 250 and let it ride till 200 and start probing for tender.

250 to 275* should be fine.

Chris

Your shoulder is considered a whole intact muscle. A single puncture from a clean probe isn't going to change that. It's not like you stabbed it all over with an injection needle or probed for tenderness after a couple of hours. The meats surface temp was above the 140* after a few hours so that's safe. Don't worry and enjoy the shoulder.

Chris

ps: here's a good read from JJ

Interesting, I was taking a break from yard work, and needed a longer break so I did a search and found a page from this site that advocated throwing the meat away because of a single probe inserted and the meat didn't reach 140° in 4 hours. Only issue is the post was from 2009. I couldn't find anything to contradict the post so I asked the question.

Interesting, I was taking a break from yard work, and needed a longer break so I did a search and found a page from this site that advocated throwing the meat away because of a single probe inserted and the meat didn't reach 140° in 4 hours. Only issue is the post was from 2009. I couldn't find anything to contradict the post so I asked the question.

Heck, is wasn't until 2011 that the FDA lowered the minimum temp for pork to 145*.

Chris

Heck, is wasn't until 2011 that the FDA lowered the minimum temp for pork to 145*.

Chris
Back then we also had a different "Safety Man", and he was more strict than JJ was, especially with the "40° to 140° in 4 hours" thing.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky