Prime Tri Tip what went wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Odd for sure. Slicing is usually the issue with toughness (as already mentioned). I like my TT's sous vide, then cooled to 38 and smoked to 130-135 and seared with a torch temp is depending on the company. i like them bloody as hell, wife does not, some fam do not. Never had a tough one with that process.
So you SV the tri tip before smoking? what temp do you take it too in the sv and for how long? I have been doing the opposite smoking to 110 deg, vac pack freeze, the SV to 132 and finally sear. Have had mixed results with tenderness.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have had good luck smoking until 130ish, let it rest for ten minutes, then reverse searing for one to two minutes per side.
I've only done 1 , but that's how I did it . Smoked in an MES 30 to an IT of 120 . Short rest , then into a screaming hot cast iron skillet .
20191215_175441.jpg
20191215_175745.jpg
Sliced 90 degrees to the grain direction .
20191215_180802.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky