Prime tri tip #4 best yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
As good as any Prime Rib I ever cooked or tasted.

Salt, pepper and garlic powder - 20-minutes at 450-degrees then 60-minutes at 250-degrees in a large counter top convection oven. I do like roasted beef rare and it has the added benefit of being that much better when re-heated! This just came out beyond incredible - very tender and outstanding taste!

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

Only way to eat a TT, that is one piece of meat that does not like being cooked medium or over. Your looks great, never cooked it that way.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Only way to eat a TT, that is one piece of meat that does not like being cooked medium or over. Your looks great, never cooked it that way.
Thanks clifish! I've cooked many prime ribs according to that recipe - they've always turned out great!

I haven't cooked a prime rib in quite a while because I live alone and smallish prime ribs just never seem to come out right, plus the cost has become extreme. After reading about tri tips on this forum and hearing a friend talk about them, I decided to give them a try. This is the fourth tri tip I cooked and it far exceeded any expectation I had. It might even taste better than a prime rib.

Thanks clifish! I've cooked many prime ribs according to that recipe - they've always turned out great!

I haven't cooked a prime rib in quite a while because I live alone and smallish prime ribs just never seem to come out right, plus the cost has become extreme. After reading about tri tips on this forum and hearing a friend talk about them, I decided to give them a try. This is the fourth tri tip I cooked and it far exceeded any expectation I had. It might even taste better than a prime rib.
yeah when rib roasts go on sale I will pick them up and cut into steaks, last sale gave me 38lbs of rib eyes and beef ribs. I just found out my local butcher is carrying TT for $7.99. Knowing the quality of all their other meat cuts I think that is a great price....I know all you west coasters remember TT for $1.99/lb but $7.99 is the cheapest I have ever seen it here in NY.

yeah when rib roasts go on sale I will pick them up and cut into steaks, last sale gave me 38lbs of rib eyes and beef ribs. I just found out my local butcher is carrying TT for $7.99. Knowing the quality of all their other meat cuts I think that is a great price....I know all you west coasters remember TT for $1.99/lb but $7.99 is the cheapest I have ever seen it here in NY.
clifish - I am a proud native New Yorker - early childhood on 19th street and 10th ave in NYC and then Commack Lawngeyeland! :emoji_wink: and a few other communities near and around NYC! I miss fluke and blackfishing at Captree bigtime!!!

Just want to be clear - I am NOT a west coaster :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
clifish - I am a proud native New Yorker - early childhood on 19th street and 10th ave in NYC and then Commack Longeyeland! :emoji_wink: and a few other communities near and around NYC!

Just want to be clear - I am NOT a west coaster :emoji_laughing:
I am just a little east of Commack in St. James...can't wait to get out of here.

I am just a little east of Commack in St. James...can't wait to get out of here.
I know it isn't the same as when we were kids but the sad thing is, there are very few great places to live anymore. I've fish a LOT all over the US - Long Island is hard to beat.

I know it isn't the same as when we were kids but the sad thing is, there are very few great places to live anymore. I've fish a LOT all over the US - Long Island is hard to beat.
I will give you that about the fishing, especially off Montauk. The great south bay.....is not so great anymore.

How long ago did you leave LI? How did you end up in TX?
I left in 1987 - moved to Maui... thought the fishing in Hawaii would slam the fishing back home but Hawaii is in the middle of an ocean and there is almost NO inshore fishing.

Texas - absolute worst blunder of my life. Then my health trapped me here.

Enough said.

• Sad
Reactions: clifish
$7.99 lb seems to be the go-to price for tri-tip these days on the West coast, too. Once in a while, I can find it on sale for $4.99.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky