Prime Rib Sunday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The wife and boy scored this at Costco for $10 off…. It was a thinner roast so I trussed it and seasoned it heavily up with a blend of kinders….
6678556B-BBAA-4D19-8036-C7848A8BE342.jpeg

The cook plan was @ 235 on the RT1250…. Just got some new probes calibrated so testing both for real….
F86C6FE9-960A-47DB-99EA-0256D11F5442.jpeg

The pan next to it is the Au Jus….this is my quick version…. Red wine 1/2c , beef stock 3c, Worcestershire 3 Tbsp, soy sauce 6 Tbsp, better than bouillon (veg & beef) 1 Tbsp each…

It hit INT 135 at the 3 hr 45 min mark…….
5C563B89-C083-4637-9623-23E5C1E7565B.jpeg

The roast went in the house oven @ 140 to hold till dinner time….it’s just a happy camper….
C74B45BE-F2CB-4FBD-BEA5-1ADC615B6D11.jpeg

The roast hung out in the oven for about 80 mins till the slicing……whooo baby!
7CE97159-8A9A-4024-B5DA-9D6F3A2DD3E3.jpeg

And finally the Prime Rib Sunday plate!
5099530B-6269-4FF6-9356-7F7C8ED66E7F.jpeg

Joined some eastern Idaho grow russets whipped with crème fraiche (Gordon Ramsey Hells Kitchen version), seared baby bellas, and pan seared greens, the Au Jus was transferred to the stove and finished with a Tbsp each of sugar in the raw, beef demi (minors), butter, and a pinch of salt….

PR Sunday Money…..no change….
0C33765F-4DA8-4D47-92AD-27D7682E3036.jpeg

Nice cook civil… You nailed that cook! Perfect PR and them good ol Idaho russets are hard to beat! Awesome bud!

Man that looks good.
Pour that juice over everything.
My dad used to like drinking roast drippings from a shot glass.

Meat and potatoes at their finest. Nice Job Civil

Point for sure
Chris

That looks amazing!! When you said you were holding it at 140* I was expecting more toward medium but that's not the case. You got that beautiful edge to edge pink that is a necessity (to me at least) on any beef roast but especially PR. Beautiful Job and that plate looks stellar.

Robert

Nice cook civil… You nailed that cook! Perfect PR and them good ol Idaho russets are hard to beat! Awesome bud!
Much appreciated RHBBQ! We make the drive up to the local GS in BF to get them packed in the cardboard box, at harvest they are just about perfect as perfect can be!
That looks spot on. Great job!
Many thanks 6GR!
Man that looks good.
Pour that juice over everything.
My dad used to like drinking roast drippings from a shot glass.
Thanks edmonds! I'm not going to confirm or deny that the Jus wasn't a chaser after dinner!
Looks great. Good job.

Rob
Thanks Rob, I appreciate it!
Meat and potatoes at their finest. Nice Job Civil

Point for sure
Chris
Many thanks Chris! There is a reason we don't go out to get PR....its just not right...

Looks excellent
Many thanks SJ, I appreciate it!
Any American would be thrilled pulling upa chair and sitting down to that meal, nice piece of work there Civil! RAY
Thanks RAY! Just me but, this is what a PR dinner at home should be! A nice afternoon smoking and once done finish up the sides and slice it just as the greens and shrooms are perfect.....put it on a warm plate and you need to wait for it to cool to take a bite!
Man that looks good
Many thanks NG, I apprecate it!
That looks amazing!! When you said you were holding it at 140* I was expecting more toward medium but that's not the case. You got that beautiful edge to edge pink that is a necessity (to me at least) on any beef roast but especially PR. Beautiful Job and that plate looks stellar.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I always hold out PR at 140, but usually not as long. I did check the INT with the thermopen pro before I sliced it and it was right at 139. I was a hair over the Mid-Rare but it was along ways from the Medium texture. It cut like butter!
YEAP! Looks really good!

LIKE!
THANKS yankee!
That is a GR Hells Kitchen worthy plate!!!!

Jim
Very much appreciated Jim! My wife's wiped mash are a close second to the GR Hells Kitchen ones we had when we were there. She keeps trying to get equal them.... I just like her practice time!
CS, that is one sweet looking plate.
Excellent work all the way around.

Stu
Many thanks Stu! It sure made my evening....just enjoyed a nice easy smoke!

Oh man that looks incredible! Great work! Those GR potatoes have been a go to here ever since you guys introduced them to me a year or so ago. Perfect for a smoked meat plate!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky