Prime Rib Roast questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peavley

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Louisiana
OK after all of the posts about smoking a rib roast, I got the itch to do one.  Albertson's  was having a grand opening near the house and whole choice ribeyes were on sale for $3.99 per pound.  I picked a few up...thinking of doing two 5 pounders or so for mother's day this weekend.  I have a few questions...how many people does one 5.5 pound roast feed?  I am having 8 adults and 8 kids over for dinner.  We are planning to do sides (mashed taters, salad) and desert also.  I was thinking I may need to do two 5 pound roasts.  If I decide to do two five pound roasts will it take approximately the same time as what yall have been posting (about 4 hours or so)?

Any advice will be appreciated. 

OK after all of the posts about smoking a rib roast, I got the itch to do one.  Albertson's  was having a grand opening near the house and whole choice ribeyes were on sale for $3.99 per pound.  I picked a few up...thinking of doing two 5 pounders or so for mother's day this weekend.  I have a few questions...how many people does one 5.5 pound roast feed?  I am having 8 adults and 8 kids over for dinner.  We are planning to do sides (mashed taters, salad) and desert also.  I was thinking I may need to do two 5 pound roasts.  If I decide to do two five pound roasts will it take approximately the same time as what yall have been posting (about 4 hours or so)?

Any advice will be appreciated. 
I would say it depends on how big the kids are, and how big the adult appetites are, but it definitely won't be one 5 pounder.

I would think 2 fives should do it.

I never did two 5 pounders, but my guess would be maybe only another half hour longer for two than for one.

Bear

Will it be the only meat you are serving? A 5.5 pounder should feed about a dozen people. Remember that some kids would prefer a hot dog than a slice of red beef. Hard to believe I know but I have experienced this when roasting one every New Years. 2-5.5s should be enough and you should have leftovers to cook with some eggs the next day.

How many it serves is going to depend on how YOU slice it. Most of the time a single slice is 6-8 oz per person (most restaurants serve 8oz petite 12 oz regular 16 oz King cut) or if you are doing thin slices you are looking at 2- 4 oz per slice again depending on how you slice it. Most dont like the thin sliced version. I would cook both of the roasts and use the leftovers for great sandwiches. Eat some and freeze some.  Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
If your guests are like mine they want a thick cut of roast beef. The kids probably won't eat that much. I think the 2 - 5 pounders should be plenty. 

Last edited:
Did a 9.4 lb.er cut into two pieces--three hours and some resting time did well for a juicy, tender, rare roast.  Was great and I got 12 HEALTHY slices of prime from it.  I like rare  or better yet--"wounded and headed my way" with my beef. Personal prefferences may dictate an hour or so more time for those not liking the vampire cut. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky