Prime Rib Roast ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Its been a long time since my last post and I have posted these before. I just thought I would show you I could still smoke.
This is an old roast from the freezer. I buy stuff when on sale and throw in the freezer as long as I play to smoke it, pork crown roasts, pork chop roasts, blade end roasts, etc. This just happened to be a boneless prime rib roast.

Since it was boneless, it would losen and fall apart while smoking leaving hot and cold sports so I truss/binded it up, that helps maintain the density so it will cook more evenly.

The only rub, spice, marinate, spritz, or mop used was Kosher salt and cracked black rubbed in.

IMG_1866.JPG

Then into the reefer overnite to dry a little.
Today, preheat smoker to 275, while loading an Amazin Oval with apple and started it smoking.
Reduced the Temp to 210 F. Loaded the roast in the smoker, added in the Oval, probed it & closed the door.

In two about two hours, I came back to check to insure it was at temp and the oval was smoking properly.

IMG_1873.JPG

I pulled it at a 145 IT, and wrapped it in foil & with maybe 1/4C of flavored juice.
It rested 45 mins and traveled to 150 degrees.
Break out the good knife!!

IMG_1875.JPG

I smoke low and slow because as always, the meat melted like butter in my mouth. I like to smoke long enough so the internal fat is like a good brisket fat all jiggly and the salt and pepper crust (end pieces) Were to die for!!
I'll show you one more time to insure your salvia is flowing!

IMG_1874.JPG

Steak was the meal and good thing too, all I had to accompany it was from the garden, green peas and carrots, salad & and some light bread rolls.

IMG_1880.JPG

Thats it, the weather is cooling off and maybe I can get back to smoking again.

BTW I bought a new smoker, and don't like it, sooooo..... I pieced together parts, spent a whole day rebuilding one of my broken ones with all the horns and whistles I wanted. AND IT WORKED !!!!

There isn't too much you can say about a ribeye roast, just really simple and easy. Just salt and pepper and a little smoke. I didn't even break out the good china to eat on. LOL

Football season is here, so its time to smoke!!

Holy cow, that looks fantastic!!!!
Which smoker did you buy and what don't you like about it?

Slice me off a slab please, I'll bring my homemade horseradish and sourdough rye dinner rolls.

Slice me off a slab please, I'll bring my homemade horseradish and sourdough rye dinner rolls.

Reactions: bigfurmn

Its was the MES40 manual (not bluetooth), I don't like the rack holders. No way to get a dowel on them, the walls seem super thin and not to well insulated. They are simply pressed out of the wall. They are cheap in my humble opinion. BUT I like the electric ease of operation now that I am getting reaching mid-life and the old ones are set so I can do sausages a lot easier.

Reactions: forktender
Very nice, I could go for an end piece also.
Glad you could piece together a smoker that works for you

I also buy when on sale and fill the freezer. Not much has been on sale lately
When I worked at a Yacht club here we used to do party's and cook up a hips of beef. It is funny how many always asked for the end cuts.
There were only so many end cuts ( ha ha ) some would get really mad, what you going to do.

David

That beef looks fantastic . Nice work . I agree about smoking during football season .

I don't like the rack holders. No way to get a dowel on them,
I don't have that style , but have looked at them . That design falls short of the old metal slides .
I added 2 aluminum angles at the top of my MES 30 so I can use dowels or slide a rack up high and use hooks .

Im with forktender forktender ......I'm on my way for a couple of sammichs! Great looking roast. Thankfully the weather is breaking here also. Much more comfortable to be out with the cooker.
Jim

Man you nailed that!! I’d love and end and a middle piece please lol! I have a few in the freezer I got on sale, need to do one soon.

Salt, pepper, and smoke, a man after my own heart! That slab of beef looks perfect to these eyes, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

Looks delicious. Thanks for posting.

Thankl you, and you are very welcome.

Very nice, I could go for an end piece also.
Glad you could piece together a smoker that works for you
I also buy when on sale and fill the freezer. Not much has been on sale lately
When I worked at a Yacht club here we used to do party's and cook up a hips of beef. It is funny how many always asked for the end cuts.
There were only so many end cuts ( ha ha ) some would get really mad, what you going to do.

David

Thank You, I now realize it takes all kinds, these end pieces were still red meat, just had all the spices from the outside. Before I learned the word "end pieces" they were always cut off and thrown in the beat pot. We talking winning pinto beans!

That looks amazing Kevin! I have a small one that I can try that on.

Thank you, Between the hurricane, the doctors and the heat I have not been outside much at all. Ity felt good, and tasted better.

That beef looks fantastic . Nice work . I agree about smoking during football season .
I don't have that style , but have looked at them . That design falls short of the old metal slides .
I added 2 aluminum angles at the top of my MES 30 so I can use dowels or slide a rack up high and use hooks .

Thank you Sir, I found 2 shelves in one freezer just full of old meats a year or two old, they need to be cooked before they head south. I won't tell you how many cryo twin packs of butts are out there, well I saw one that was .69/lb! This is the closest I have been to running out of sauage and andouille in 5 or 6 years.

Kevin, That roast is done to my liking !!!!!!

Thank you and I knew that! Thats the only way to do one IMHO. You always joke about those folks wanting an end cut, about not being invited the next time, but ya don't really mean it. LOL

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks awesome Foam. We all knew you still could smoke stuff. Glad things are getting back to normal down there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky