Prime Rib, just because!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
With this quarantine I've been digging through the freezer finding things to cook up. So far this week we've had beef chuck short ribs and then amassive tri-tip. I found this prime I always forget I have and figured might as well do it up for some friends!
Trimmed the fat cap and silverskin off of the top of the roast and trimmed the dront fat cap down most of the way. I left a bit of it as some of us like to chew on seasoned fat! Once trimmed up I liberally seasoned with Traegers Prime Rib Rub. I actually really enjoy this on these primes, especially for a mass produced rub. Once seasoned it was rolled into a tube, tied up, had a few sprigs of fresh rosemary from the garden added, then rested in the fridge for about 2hrs. Started at 2:30 on the Traeger at 225*. I've recently moved to Lumberjack pellets and have really been pleased with the results. I only had cherry on hand so that was what she got! At roughly three hours my Inkbird monitor was showing 115-130* so time to pull and sear. Fired the Weber up on medium and seared all sides until crusty, center finished temp was 125ish before the rest. Let it rest about 20 minutes then sliced and served! Minimal smoke ring which is good, dont want this baby overpowered by the smoke flavor. Uniform color across the whole roast. Turned out great.
The sides were relatively simple dishes. Baby carrots and broccoli tossed in olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper then baked at 400 for about 30 minutes. Potatoes are twice baked. Baked, scooped the goods out, mixed with sour cream, chives, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and butter. Once the mixture was smooth back in the shells it went topped with chives and some mexican blend cheese. Baked at 400 as well for 30 minutes. Bread was just store bought in a bag, had to cheat somewhere!
Both the Fiance and my brother agree this Prime was better than the one I did for Christmas which is interesting since this was truly just a choice rib roast thats been in my freezer for a year whereas Christmas was a fresh non frozen true Prime. This choice did have some serious marbling and I adjusted my searing strategy by pulling the roast earlier off the Traeger and searing at a slightly lower heat to prevent fat flareup and burn. Been pretty impressed with this Inkbird instant read thermometer. Its my first instant read and I dont know how I cooked before without one!
20200404_134835.jpg
20200404_134840.jpg
20200404_172056.jpg
20200404_173141.jpg
20200404_173147.jpg
20200404_175347.jpg
20200404_175411.jpg
20200404_175416.jpg
20200404_175419.jpg
20200404_175922.jpg

Looks great! Well done sir! I smoked a prime for Christmas this year and before my wife tasted it she ask if the next prime rib I cook I could just do it in the oven like the restauranta do... well the next day she admitted that smoking it was way better than the way the restaurants cooking and asked when I would be doing another one lol

Reactions: Teal101
Looks like a fantastic cook to me!
Thanks!
Looks great! Well done sir! I smoked a prime for Christmas this year and before my wife tasted it she ask if the next prime rib I cook I could just do it in the oven like the restauranta do... well the next day she admitted that smoking it was way better than the way the restaurants cooking and asked when I would be doing another one lol
Thank you! My mom was freaking out this Christmas about me smoking it, especially since she bought the Prime haha. I had to remind her she loved my Prime the year before and it was smoked too! It turned out great and she calmed down. Funny how that works isnt it?
Perfectly done !!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks!
Beautiful prime rib
Thank you!

Oh boy!! That do look good....real good!! Perfect cook on the PR and it looks like everybody is having a nice time. Great to see folks actually enjoying themselves in these troubled times. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on a beautiful cook.

Robert

Reactions: Teal101
Oh boy!! That do look good....real good!! Perfect cook on the PR and it looks like everybody is having a nice time. Great to see folks actually enjoying themselves in these troubled times. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on a beautiful cook.

Robert
Thank you Robert. We're bass fisherman and with our state closing all fishing we were getting stir crazy! Had to get together and have a good meal, a few beers, and just BS. Its making for a great breakfast too!
20200405_094111.jpg

That's a absolutely perfect cook, looks about as fine a prime as I've ever seen, Like! RAY
Thank you! This is my 3rd one and each one gets better and better! I need to find another one soon haha!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky