Prime Rib In The Oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
The cold I can work around but the wind is whats difficult.
If the wind holds out tomorrow I'm going to spin a prime rib on the kettle.

***Edit***
Was done in the oven, way to windy to spin on the kettle.

Tied, duck fat spray and black rub.

dfpr.jpg

dfpr1.jpg

That wind is brutal. -2 this morning and 5 right now with a pretty good wind. Probably colder up the road where you are.
Looks like a fine start to a great meal.

Thanks

If I get whooped we still have the oven.

With a high of 16º there tomorrow I'd be making sure my oven was up to snuff! RAY

I'm also hoping for minimal wind as I have our Wagyu NY roast to smoke..... but as said above always have the house oven, but I sure hope not as I've actually never cooked a roast, chicken, turkey, or any major protein in it.....

Last edited:
The cold I can work around but the wind is whats difficult.
If the wind holds out tomorrow I'm going to spin a prime rib on the kettle.

Tied, duck fat spray and black rub.

View attachment 652076

View attachment 652077
god Bless you. First time in years i'm not doing a rib roast. I'm lucky that I have a big-ass Napolean grill with a commercial grade rotisserie. I'm a pussy, but in those temps I would already be on plan B. Remember most restaurants that make "prime rib, do it in the oven. It's all time and temp. just save your drippins and get a couple packets of Knorr Au'jus for back up. Looks like a bitchin piece of meat. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
too bad about the winds, but you guys will still make everything taste awesome for your christmas meals!

Going with chops suggestion
Mines warming on the counter . I'm guessing you looked over his cooking method . Start in a cold oven . He used 250 , but I used 200 / 225 when I did it .

I've been fighting off a cold drink . That wine pic just pushed me over the line .

Edit ;
My temp was based off a smaller roast than what you have .

Good luck, the weather gods favored us today…. Currently 27 and only 6mph wind…… I just put my two roasts on the smoker

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky