Price of Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, we have "United Grocers" or "Cash and Carry"...

THANKS for the post. I live in the Willamette Valley too, and am amazed how many stores don't carry whole packer briskets, and say when they did they ended up throwing most of it out. A Safeway in Corvallis gets a small supply of select briskets.

--SiletzSpey

Choice packers at albertsons here today. $1.98 lb

I was at Sams Club last night checking prices and Grade of meat. I found All their beef was "Choice" grade ( much better then around my house) And it ALL was Angus. Even the Briskets, And a 10# was 30,00 . will have to bring the cooler back and stock up soon...

We get almost all our meat from Sam's.

It's a 1 hour drive each way, so when we go we stock the freezer up.

The price & quality is so much better than anything locally.

We just heard that they are going to build a Sam's in Sebring. It will be about 2 miles from our house.

Talk about being in hoggie heaven!!

Can't wait!

Al

Just a tip, for those on the west coast with access to Cash and Carry stores (www.smartfoodservice.com), they are running a special right now through 9/11/11 on Brisket of $1.88/lb...!!! Thats right, $1.88... I couldn't believe it myself, less than 2 bucks!! They are 10lb average, and grade is USDA Select.

The smart and finals in So Cal have been running Select grade briskets for $2.19lb.  A month and a half ago, they had Choice grade for 2.99 lb.

Wish I had picked up more of the choices.  The butcher I sometimes use have choice for $4.19/lb

This is all for packers ranging between 11-14 lbs

Just a tip, for those on the west coast with access to Cash and Carry stores (www.smartfoodservice.com), they are running a special right now through 9/11/11 on Brisket of $1.88/lb...!!!
I just scored 2 choice packers. If the Eugene Oregon store is typical, they had many dozens of select and choice packers, and dozens of choice Angus packers. Sorta overwhelming. They also had bulk uncooked "wing drummettes", which will go on the smoker this weekend. My wife fears family weight-gain issues coming up.

-SiletzSpey

We get almost all our meat from Sam's.

It's a 1 hour drive each way, so when we go we stock the freezer up.

The price & quality is so much better than anything locally.

We just heard that they are going to build a Sam's in Sebring. It will be about 2 miles from our house.

Talk about being in hoggie heaven!!

Can't wait!

Al
Thats how it is with me also Al, we have a hour drive both ways to get to Sams. And I didnt have the cooler with me when I found the meat. They also have a MES 40 inch for 299.00  Anyone wanna donate to a needy cause???...lol

Thats how it is with me also Al, we have a hour drive both ways to get to Sams. And I didnt have the cooler with me when I found the meat. They also have a MES 40 inch for 299.00  Anyone wanna donate to a needy cause???...lol
I've been known to buy a cooler when an "emergency" arises! 
biggrin.gif
 That's why I have 2-120qt, 2-70qt, 2-50qt, 1-20qt, and multiple six-pack and 12-pack coolers!

Last edited:
Due to the drought, feed prices skyrocketed and this forced prices higher.  Expect for trends to go even higher through 2015 into 2016.  $6-7/lb won't be a surprise.  If you have the freezer space then buy as much as you can now.

I was talking to a cattle producer a few weeks ago (raises certified angus) he told me that right now most people are trying to build up there heards, they were selling only steers and hefers  that were no longer producing, I would think high prices will be around for quite a while.

Max, do you guys have HEB in your area? I noticed they usually have prime packers for $3.99lb. I got lucky at the Fort Sam Commissary about a month ago, they had choice packers for 1.79lb, I got 3

Due to the drought, feed prices skyrocketed and this forced prices higher.  Expect for trends to go even higher through 2015 into 2016.  $6-7/lb won't be a surprise.  If you have the freezer space then buy as much as you can now.
Yeah I remember reading how after they slashed the herds in late summer/fall of 2013 due ot high feed costs, that it would take 18-24 months to build them back up again. I finally have brisket figured out on my smoker and love it so I just check prices whenever I'm in Walmart or Gordon Foods (MI based restarant supplier) and bite the bullet when I find a good one.

Believe it or not , smoked chuck roasts are a nice beef substitute in a pinch. I like em....

I joined my local Costco hoping to find a good price on brisket.  Unfortunately all they carry are trimmed flats and those were $8 something a pound... 
icon_exclaim.gif

I guess it's going to be trips out to JW Trueths from now on whenever I want/need to do briskets.
The price of beef in this part of the country is nuts right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky