Prague #1 instead of #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danotebo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
I am making some Lonzino and I accidentally used Prague #1 instead of #2 in the spice cure. 3% salt and .25% Prague #1. Will it be OK to cure in the curing fridge until it loses 35% or will I need to cook/smoke the product?

If it was me I'd just smoke it and do away with any worry factor, you can always do another one. RAY

Instacure 1 is used for any type of cured meat product that will require cooking, such as bacon, hams that are not air-dried, and smoked sausages.
  • 2 tsps of Instacure 1 is enough to cure roughly 10 lbs of sausage or bacon.

What Is Instacure 2 Used For?

Instacure 2 is used for meat products that will be air-dried and not cooked, such as dried salamis, pepperonis, and some air-dried hams.
The reason for the addition of sodium nitrate in Instacure 2 is that over a long curing period, sodium nitrate breaks down very slowly into sodium nitrite.
In the words of the great sausage maker, Rytek Kutas, sodium nitrate works like an extended-release medication for meats that require very long curing times, like dry cured sausages.

You can cure and smoke (dont dry to 35% loss) to end up with canadian bacon.

iMHO nitrate to nitirite conversion is hit and miss for home curing. Certain level of bacterial activity is required, temps , humidity etc.

You'd probably be ok with cure#1 but is pribably best not to take chances if you have doubts.

If it was me I'd just smoke it and do away with any worry factor, you can always do another one. RAY

Instacure 1 is used for any type of cured meat product that will require cooking, such as bacon, hams that are not air-dried, and smoked sausages.
  • 2 tsps of Instacure 1 is enough to cure roughly 10 lbs of sausage or bacon.

What Is Instacure 2 Used For?

Instacure 2 is used for meat products that will be air-dried and not cooked, such as dried salamis, pepperonis, and some air-dried hams.
The reason for the addition of sodium nitrate in Instacure 2 is that over a long curing period, sodium nitrate breaks down very slowly into sodium nitrite.
In the words of the great sausage maker, Rytek Kutas, sodium nitrate works like an extended-release medication for meats that require very long curing times, like dry cured sausages.
Ray Has you covered Rytek made a living curing meat. You want to continue
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
I am making some Lonzino and I accidentally used Prague #1 instead of #2 in the spice cure. 3% salt and .25% Prague #1. Will it be OK to cure in the curing fridge until it loses 35% or will I need to cook/smoke the product?

It is safe to now add cure#2... Here are the maximum allowable amounts you can use....
Follow the amounts listed in the "Dry Cured" column...
Cure ingoing maximums.png

Last edited:
Dave NAILED IT! Adding the 2 Cures together, you are still within safe limits. You could even add another dose of Cure #1 at the halfway point. Cure #2 and it's interaction with bacteria is extremely critical with Dry Cured Sausages because of the Oxygen free interior. Not so much with a Loin whose surface is exposed to air...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky