Potato Bomb

Discussion in 'Veggies' started by ice daddy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I've been playing with this idea for some time, and decided to give it a try tonight.

While in Vermont years ago I went to several events with my uncle and was amazed the a lot of food vendors offered Baked potatos with all the fixins as a walk around treat.  All for the tidy sum of $5/6 bucks.  So I came up with the idea of doing a stuffed potato with various ingredients.  Kinda like a twice baked potato, but all done at one time on a smoker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not smoking tonight, but doing a T-bone on the Cypress Classic egg.  In theory it should work on a smoker just as easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q-views to follow.   Sure hope this works out, I mean it is just a potato right?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. scrappynadds

scrappynadds Smoking Fanatic

Looks good except for that "bag of bacon"???? cure and smoke your own.......just a thought...

3. ronrude

ronrude Meat Mopper

I am looking forward to the outcome of this.  As far as the bacon, one experiment at a time.  You won't regret it though.

Another great alternative is pulled pork or chicken.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I`m in.....

5. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Where is the finished product

6. Sounded good to start...now where's the finished product?

7. [​IMG]   Sorry for the delay.  Camera and Computer got mad at each other.  

[​IMG]   [​IMG]   [​IMG]

Used a regular Ziess apple corer to cut the plug out

[​IMG]   [​IMG]   [​IMG]

I know this isn't home made bacon but I'm just trying to get the right combo of ingredients plus I haven't made bacon yet.  Used a meat tenderizer to punch holes in potato.

[​IMG]    [​IMG]    [​IMG]

Inserted the good stuff with the potato plug.  I worked surprisingly well.  cut the end off the plug to cover the hole in the end

[​IMG]   [​IMG]   [​IMG]

Used tooth picks to keep stuffing from oozzing out.  Then on the grill

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

You can see the cheese  coming out the tenderizer holes.  In retrospect, tenderizer was over kill.  Gonna do it next time without all the holes.  By taking the plug out and stuffing the potato, the thing cooked alot quicker than I expected.  Next time gonna try 25 minutes instead of 45.

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

Inside was gooey and very good.  I like the combination and agree that home made bacon should bump it up another level.  I think this thing can be kinda like a fattie and don't think you can go wrong with whatever you like for the inside.  Flavor was really different and moist.  I'm gonna keep working on this, it really is good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]   Oh the steak was good too !  [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. Looks great. Cool idea.

9. Looks Great!

10. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like they came out great 

11. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've made these many times; everyone thinks they're great.

However, after stuffing and reinserting the plugs, I wrap them in bacon, then wrap the whole thing in foil. Cook direct over coals about 375 to 400 dgrees, for about an hour. Make sure you turn them once or twice so they don't burn. When you remove the foil, the bacon should be crisp, and the potato infused with all that good bacon-y flavor![​IMG]

12. roller

I`d eat that..it just does not have enough stuff on it for me..I like alot of stuff piles very high on a potato.

13. Mneeley490 I agree with you gonna try that next time.

Thanks Roller,  I was trying to figure out how to stuff more goodies, but it kept coming out the other end!    [​IMG]

14. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Were you talking about the potato or.....?

Good luck and good smoking.

15. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like it but I also agree it needs more stuffing, can't have too much cheese and bacon on a baked tater. I know its not YAWYE friendly, but dang I love my cheese. Hope the YAWYE [​IMG]  don't come after me..........[​IMG]

16. roller

Well if you want more stuffing then take out more Potato. You dont have to have all of that Potato when you have all that cheese and bacon....and maybe a little Sour Cream...[​IMG]

17. Drill a bigger hole in the tater.

18. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That sounds like an idea for some enterprising BBQ'er. Invent about a 6" long holesaw/corer & attach to a cordless drill. Make it about say, 1" to 1-1/4" in diameter for bigger spuds?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  19. thoseguys26

thoseguys26 Master of the Pit

I was thinking about that technique the entire time reading this post. baked potato fatty! I am trying that! Cheers!

20. ronrude

ronrude Meat Mopper

It doesn't fit with my low carb diet, but next time i make a spud, it is going to be similar.  Thanks for the inspiration!