Post Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
As some may recall, I was asked by my daughter to bake a turkey this year for Thanksgiving. Just how blasphemous is that??:emoji_laughing: Anyway, I did and was kind of bummed that I wasn't smoking it. Fast forward to this past Monday and I was in the store when I noticed that they had fresh Butterball turkeys reduced to 39¢/lb. so I bought one about 13 lbs. I had 2 choices - freeze it or cook it so I told them all that I was going to smoke it today.

I brined it for about 24 hours, injected it with a homemade injection consisting of chicken broth, butter, and some creole seasoning. Ready for some smoke...
thumbnail (1).jpg

Fired up my old Oklahoma Joe with some cherry and got the smoke rolling. It doesn't look like it, but there is smoke coming out of the stack...
thumbnail (2).jpg

Temp up to about 275℉ and on it went...
thumbnail.jpg

About 2 hours in, the I.T. is around 100℉ and it's starting to look like something. Spritzed with some vegetable oil, rotated 180°, and let it roll...
thumbnail (5).jpg

After about 3 more hours, I.T. is getting where I want, but the bird is getting too dark on the outside so I covered it in aluminum foil and let it go. Pulled at 160℉ in the breast and about 175℉ in the thighs. Lot darker than I wanted, but the meat was moist...
thumbnail (6).jpg

Removed from the carcass and cut up to eat...
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg

Well I got my smoked turkey, FINALLY...

Wow, Looks incredibly tasty, and I thought I was turkeyed out! Doesn’t look too dark to me as long as it’s tasty. I hope you saved the carcass for some soup !

That sounds incredible. I’m wanting to stuff one like that but with citrus in the mix.
I've never used citrus but I'll bet that some oranges, limes, and lemons would be good...
Wow, Looks incredibly tasty, and I thought I was turkeyed out! Doesn’t look too dark to me as long as it’s tasty. I hope you saved the carcass for some soup !
Thank you, it tasted good and I finally got my "fix". I always save the carcasses for later use. I made turkey and rice soup with the carcass from last week. Not sure what I'll do with this one..

When you cook for others(or yourself for that matter) be careful with using grapefruit and grapefruit juice. It doesn't mix well with some drugs especially blood pressure drugs and heart drugs.

Wow that's a fine looking bird GS !
But what are you hiding under that tarp LOL?
Thanks for the kind words.
Under what tarp??:emoji_laughing: That's my TMG Pits Copperhead. I'm seeing a neurologist right now for some neck and shoulder issues that I'm having so opening and closing the door on that pit isn't an option for now...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky