Possible issues with dry cured buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dictator

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2017
Pelham, NH
Looking for some opinions on my first attempt at both buckboard bacon and dry curing. I will say I have made many batches of wet cured pork belly bacon without issue, so I do have some experience with this stuff but far from an expert.

I saw Jess Pryles' blog post about buckboard bacon, and my meat share has blessed me with an abundance of ~2lb boneless pork shoulders, so this really piqued my interest. I had two 2-pounders and a regular pork belly, so I decided to cure and smoke them all together. I followed the calculator she linked to precisely, but the water % confused me when I would have to calculate enough water to submerge the meat, so I figured, "Why not try dry curing this time?"

Again, I followed the cure recipe exactly. I do have a scale that measures to hundredth of grams, so I really was that specific. Pork belly and one shoulder got straight up cure, the other shoulder also got the black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder from her recipe. I bagged each chunk of meat separately with every bit of the cure mix, squeezed air out, and double bagged. Every day, I flipped, massaged, and did what I could to ensure the cure reached all parts of the meat. Many inappropriate jokes were made about "massaging my meat" to the extent I may have lost valuable body parts should I attempt yet another.

Today, 14 days later, I fired up the smoker and planned to hot smoke the bacon to 165º-170º, which I've been liking for my bacon smokes lately. The hot smoked bacon is easier to slice evenly by hand, and I still crisp it up in the pan before eating. Haven't had an issue. So... I open up the pork belly bag, everything looks good. I rinse the cure off, pat it dry, and set it aside. Things got weird when I opened the unflavored shoulder. There were some areas of brown meat that I didn't like. They smelled a bit off, but not so much that I'd freak out. I decided to trim the offending areas off until I felt more comfortable with it. Rinsed, patted dry, set aside. Then I opened the flavored shoulder, and there seemed to also be brown areas. Thing is, with the flavoring, I couldn't detect any off-ness by smelling, and I wondered if the seasoning had something to do with the coloring. Trying to play it safe, I trimmed it quite heavily until I felt okay with it. Rinsed, patted dry, and loaded everything into the ready smoker.

Smoked at 180º (MES 30 with hickory pellets) until they all stalled at 158º for well over an hour. Thinking the stall was caused by the fat rendering, and not wanting to lose it all, but really wanting to get these over 165º, I cranked the MES to 220º until the lowest of the three hit ~168º. Shut everything down, let them cool a little, then double wrapped in plastic, wrapped in foil, and into the fridge. Typically, I wait two days wrapped like this before trying bacon. This is where I am right now. ('Que View attached, pork belly at the top, seasoned buckboard center, plain buckboard bottom)

My question is, how do I know these are okay to eat? I'm pretty confident the pork belly is okay, but what should I be looking for come slicing time to know if the cure fully penetrated? As for the shoulders, is having some brown edges before smoking normal? I look at the picture of Jess' buckboard bacon on the post I linked above, and it looks to me some of the edges do look a bit grey and funky. Was I being overly cautious by trimming the brown stuff away? My gut is singing the "When in doubt, throw it out" mantra, and to be honest, it's not the end of the world if I lose a few chunks of meat. But if the general response here is that this is typical and all is fine, I'd certainly feel better come taste-testing time.

I know this was a freaking novel... thanks for bearing with me. I truly do appreciate your time and insight!

Attachments

• IMG_9947.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_9947.HEIC.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 44
Did you take any pictures of the 'brown' areas you trimmed?

Where did the meat come from? home butchered or from a butcher shop? If home butchered, can you verify the meat was safely handled?

I did not take pics of the areas I trimmed. Raw porky hands and panic prevailed, unfortunately.

Meat came from my monthly meat share from Walden Local Meats. Not home butchered, but they promote local, organic, pasture-raised meats, if that helps... They also provide this affidavit from their suppliers.

Cure #1 can cause Brown patches, especially in high concentration spots. It is VERY unlikely those patches are Spoiled, since you did massage and turn.
Your BBB will have a gray Bullseye in the center, after smoking, if under cured. This is a Quality issue Not a Safety issue. The meat will still be safe toeat...JJ

As long as you apply salt and cure #1 to the meat by % of meat weight as a minimum of 1.5% salt and cure #1 as 0.25% the meat will cure fine and will not spoil in the fridge. The discolored spots are caused from oxidation and are superficial as they will disappear in the smoke and heat. They cause no harm. As Chef JJ said, when slicing you will have a grey center in the meat if not cured. You are looking for a nice even pink color across the whole profile of a slice.
Also it is not necessary to take IT to 165* no reason in the smoke phase to go beyond 150* IT The meat is pasteurized at that point and safe. Going higher will cause fat to melt and makes the product greasy.

I followed the calculator she linked to precisely, but the water % confused me when I would have to calculate enough water to submerge the meat, so I figured, "Why not try dry curing this time?"

Again, I followed the cure recipe exactly. I do have a scale that measures to hundredth of grams, so I really was that specific. Pork belly and one shoulder got straight up cure, the other shoulder also got the black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder from her recipe. I bagged each chunk of meat separately with every bit of the cure mix, squeezed air out, and double bagged. Every day, I flipped, massaged, and did what I could to ensure the cure reached all parts of the meat. Many inappropriate jokes were made about "massaging my meat" to the extent I may have lost valuable body parts should I attempt yet another.
You are already getting some input on your finish temps, and there may be room for some fine tuning when rinsing, resting, smoking, blooming..... but let's work on the browning first. So, you used the 'dry curing ' option on the EatCuredMeat calculator, and one shoulder roast was plain, and the other roast had some additional aromatics.

Questions:
1. Did you go with the default salt percentage of 2.5% or change it?

2. Was your curing salt 'Cure #1' and not Morton Tender Quick?

3. Did your curing bags produce liquid during the 14 days? And during the turning and massage was any bag liquid mobile enough for you move it around to re-coat the meat?

4. It sounds like you opted to omit sugar, is this correct?

Reactions: indaswamp
You are already getting some input on your finish temps, and there may be room for some fine tuning when rinsing, resting, smoking, blooming..... but let's work on the browning first. So, you used the 'dry curing ' option on the EatCuredMeat calculator, and one shoulder roast was plain, and the other roast had some additional aromatics.

Questions:
1. Did you go with the default salt percentage of 2.5% or change it?

2. Was your curing salt 'Cure #1' and not Morton Tender Quick?

3. Did your curing bags produce liquid during the 14 days? And during the turning and massage was any bag liquid mobile enough for you move it around to re-coat the meat?

4. It sounds like you opted to omit sugar, is this correct?

Thanks to all--I really appreciate the feedback so far.

For these questions:

1 - I went with the default 2.5%: 2.25% kosher salt, .25% curing salt

2 - I used Cure #1 from Anthony's, not MTQ

3 - There was some liquid, I wouldn't say a lot. I was very thorough in turning and massaging daily, so I'm confident any that was in there made it all the way around.

4 - Looking at my notes, I did omit the sugar from the unseasoned batches. I only added it to the buckboard batch that also had the garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder.

Thanks to all--I really appreciate the feedback so far.

For these questions:

1 - I went with the default 2.5%: 2.25% kosher salt, .25% curing salt

2 - I used Cure #1 from Anthony's, not MTQ

3 - There was some liquid, I wouldn't say a lot. I was very thorough in turning and massaging daily, so I'm confident any that was in there made it all the way around.

4 - Looking at my notes, I did omit the sugar from the unseasoned batches. I only added it to the buckboard batch that also had the garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder.
Well, I don't see any red flags with your answers on these questions. And since the belly came out fine I would think your fridge temp was in the 35° - 39°F range.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky