Pork tongue, to smoke or not to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crvtt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a pork tongue (about 1/2 lb.) boiling in some water added with cumin, peppercorns, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, bay leaf.  I want to make tacos with it.  Debating if I should boil for 3 hours then finish in the smoker for 1/2 hour or skip the smoker.  Not sure if the smoke flavor will go well with tacos.  I'm starting some St. Louis ribs around 1:00 with a mix of apple cherry, and hickory so I can throw the tongue in along with the ribs. 

204d9b74_2013-05-2709.12.26.jpg

Last edited:
By all means , YES. Peel it and smoke as you would a loin, but longer. Like a Brisket, it's a long cook, track time with your temp.  You'll be good if you slice it at around 180*F.

I do Beef Tongue from time to time. Need to post one... Hmmm. Father's Day...

Have fun and as always . . .

I've cooked and eaten pig tongue in stir-fry and tacos a bunch of times. I don't know how much smoke taste it will pick up in 1/2 hour, but I'm sure it will be great in the tacos either way. 

Have fun and post finished pics!

Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky