Pork tenderloin with kraut and tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Absolutely outstanding Steve....both the meal and the story behind it. Kudos to your sister for filling in the blanks for you. Hope you don't mind but I am stealing this!! One thing I might change though would be to use fresh cabbage versus kraut. I love kraut but it can get a bit salty sometimes and I just wonder if fresh shredded cabbage might be more to our liking. Well done my friend.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The other day I mentioned to a few friends about a dish my mom used to make back when I was young. I tried making it a few times. But it wasn't the same. Until last night. I talked to my sister the other day. And told her how I was making it. And. Low and behold. She had the recipe! The trick was with 2 things I was leaving out. And 2 things that needed adjustment.
View attachment 529030

P3130052.JPG

Take 2 pork tender loins. And cut into 1.5" thick pieces. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
View attachment 529031

P3130053.JPG

Browned in a CI skillet with lard.

View attachment 529032
P3130054.JPG

Sauté 2 med onions. And this was the first adjustment. I was using crushed canned tomatoes. Gayle said that mom always used whole canned skin off tomatoes. And mashed them up a touch with a potato masher. She swore that it made a difference. Didn't have one of those. So, I gave them a quick hit with the food chopper.
So, I then put the tomatoes and onions in a bowl with the second adjustment. Italian seasoning, which I wasn't using.
Added 2 tsp. Then the third adjustment. 2 bay leaves. Wasn't using them either. And the last. I wasn't adding enough sugar to cut the acid. I was using 2 tsp. I doubled it.

View attachment 529029
P3130055.JPG

Everything added to the pan. And put in a 325 degree oven for a hour covered. Then removed the cover. And went another 30 minutes. The pork was at 150 IT.

View attachment 529033
P3130058.JPG

Plated up. I'm not joking when I said I had tears in my eyes when I tasted it. Fond memories.

Steve
That looks so so good! I also have bunch of recipes from my mom,old country born. It gets to the point I hate going out to eat because most everything taste like crap to me. Must be spoiled. Do something similar but will try your version soon. Thank you for sharing the story and recipe. Ps:I like to use whole wack of Carraway seeds. Try it.

Try to find some Claussen refrigerated kraut. It's better than any canned kraut I've ever tried. Back in the bacon, sausage, lunch meat area at Kroger.

Absolutely outstanding Steve....both the meal and the story behind it. Kudos to your sister for filling in the blanks for you. Hope you don't mind but I am stealing this!! One thing I might change though would be to use fresh cabbage versus kraut. I love kraut but it can get a bit salty sometimes and I just wonder if fresh shredded cabbage might be more to our liking. Well done my friend.

Robert
Thanks my friend. You can always rinse the kraut before using it. I do that for my Ruebens. Not sure how it would work with shredded cabbage. Give it a try!

OH!! That looks and sounds delicious, Steve.
Thank you for sharing the method and recipe.

Stu
Thanks Stu!

That looks so so good! I also have bunch of recipes from my mom,old country born. It gets to the point I hate going out to eat because most everything taste like crap to me. Must be spoiled. Do something similar but will try your version soon. Thank you for sharing the story and recipe. Ps:I like to use whole wack of Carraway seeds. Try it.
Try to find some Claussen refrigerated kraut. It's better than any canned kraut I've ever tried. Back in the bacon, sausage, lunch meat area at Kroger.
Thank you! Carraway seeds sounds good in it. I buy Claussen brand when I can find it. It is better than canned for sure. Their pickles are great too!

Wow, missed when you posted last week.
I've made a similar recipe years ago. I used slices of apple on each layer of pork and sauerkraut.
Apples replace the added sugar.
Slow cooker replace the oven.

Reactions: zwiller
Wow, missed when you posted last week.
I've made a similar recipe years ago. I used slices of apple on each layer of pork and sauerkraut.
Apples replace the added sugar.
Slow cooker replace the oven.
That sounds like a good alternative.

Steve thanks for sharing a glimpse of your families food history. Looks great.
Thanks. And you're welcome!

Looks great Steve. It's always good to travel down memory lane.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky