Pork Tenderloin (Tryin Something New)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I've always simply seasoned and grilled pork tenderloins on the weber kettle. Simple and tasty as long as you don't lose track of time and over cook. I hadn't bought any in quite some time and saw some at the store the other day. Smithfield all natural according to the package, not treated with any solution or otherwise. Saw a few threads, and read a lot about folks brining and doing glazes etc. I brine poultry all the time, but have never bothered with these tenderloins.

Off we go. 2 tenderloins in the pack, 2.25 lbs total. Where I got the idea to try an equilibrium brine on these I have no idea. I'm not a fan of overly salty food, so I settled at 1.5% salt (water and meat weight included in measurement) and an equal amount of dark brown sugar. Tossed in a smidgen of red pepper flakes to see if they would lend some heat in the background. I'm just curious about the length of time it will take for the tenderloin to be fully brined, Online calculators be damned, but I put the two pieces in at about 1430 today, so tomorrow at say 1600 they'll be either hitting the kettle or the pellet pooper. EQ brine tells me I should be fine. Thoughts/Ideas/Suggestions?

Sorry I'm not much help. I've never done the EQB. Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Man oh man did it turn out good. I didn't get very many pics. I was pretty tired after a long day of metal detecting. That and some guy named Tito's was hanging around a little later than he should have been :emoji_wink:

Got home and took them out of the brine and set them on a rack in the fridge for an hour or two while getting a few other things done. Gave them a light dusting of the fat man's rub (Malcom Reed) and threw them on the pellet pooper @250 until 140 internal. About 125, I glazed them, and then gave them a good brushing right before pulling them off the smoker. I had about a third of a bottle of Kosmos Q peach habanero left over, so I thinned it out with about a 1/4 cup of my buddies home made peach jam and some apple juice. Heated it up and worked in the apple juice to get a nice consistency.
20211121_170850.jpg

Pulled them off, tented for about 15 minutes.
20211121_183749.jpg

Sliced into one and wow was it juicy and tender. Sorry that pic is not so clear.
20211121_185038.jpg

I'll be doing this again and again. The brine made them absolutely moist, juicy and tender beyond my expectations. I can't see where the red pepper flakes did anything in the brine so they'll not be in the next batch. No plated pics, but I had a pile of green beans and some tater salad on the side. Thanks for looking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky