pork skin chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrish

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2007
IOWA
for making pork skin chips, I know you cant simply use fresh pork skins they have to be rendered as ive seen out door street venders use and cook and sell pork rinds festavials and such, there light to dark brown square chips that are cooked in oil and these venders have boxes of them, so does anyone know where to get these boxes (maby online?) my meat locker in this town doesnt have a clue as to where to get them, ive searched and searched but no luck, id like to fry some up at a family campout this year, if anyone can help me search, by the way raw pig skin will not fry up into pork rinds like we know them to be.

i may end up asking the next street vender at a outdoor event where he gets his chips at.

In an episode of Dirty Jobs on Discovery channel, Mike Rowe made pork rinds. If memory serves, the rinds/chips are first rendered of most of the excess fat at a moderate temperature, removed, cooled, then fried at a high temperature.

The first rendering is started with boiling water, to release the fat. The water is boiled off, leaving the lard and pork bits.

Dirty Jobs Seson 4 Episode 5 - Skull Cleaner.... the cracklin' maker is in this episode.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky