Pork shoulders W. Ky Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbpaducah

Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
Paducah, KY
I have a Vision, Kamado style grill I have been experimenting with lately.  I have 2 MES 40's and haven't been impressed with the temp control these units have.  First of all, butts and shoulder in this area are $0.99 per pound.  I prepared my Vision and got temp up to 250 and placed the rubbed 15 pound shoulder in a roasting pan I purchased lately.  It has an inner rack that holds the meat off the bottom of the pan.  I put apple juice in the bottom and did not use a deflector plate.  The temp was allowed to wander up to 300 degrees.  After 15 hours and a couple of hour resting period, the skin lifted right off leaving moist and very tender pork.  I pulled it with my gloved hands.

I think butts/shoulders should be cooked at higher temps and not the 220-225 that I see on a lot of sites. 

Reactions: robertwlong
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky