Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pocketaces

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Been on since 9am.  Heat is fairly steady.  That is surprising considering how windy it is here.

I'm just a few miles from the golf tourney in Sheboygan. 

We're at 165 degrees.  I've had it rubbed since Friday night.  I am not foiling until 210 then putting it in the cooler for a few hours.

I'm not spraying or mopping this time either.  I wanted to try one "less fancy" this time.

I would spray if it was looking dry but seems moist as ever.

b50c18b6_IMAGE_099.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your results - looking good so far

Looking forward to seeing your results - looking good so far
I have been TERRIBLE at posting the finished product Qview.  Normally there are hungry guest here waiting with plates in hand.  Tonight is more low key so I'll be able to get some shots pre and post pull.

I am getting more drunk with the lack of "work" that I am normally doing.  With no foiling at 165 or spraying every hour I find myself looking for reasons to peek.  lol. 

I just wanted to get a baseline for how a "normal" pork shoulder would taste.  When I got into this hobby a few months ago, I jumped right in with all the wonderful things your guys and gals have figured out over the years.  This time I wanted to go old school.  Rub and smoke.  I even thought the cooler was to over the top but it just works so well I have to do it now.

Looking good so far.  I'm doing something similar today except I am spritzing.  I've always foiled the dozen or so that I've done so far and wanted to see how good the bark will be without foiling until 200* when I pull it.  I think the cooler time will allow for the harder bark (from not foiling) to soften just a little.  We shall see.  lol

Have you hit any stalls?  Mine (7 lbs) stalled at 162* for an hour and half and now I'm patiently waiting for it to bounce off 167* that its been at for an hour. lol

Happy smokin' and looking forward to your finish Qview.  

Looking good so far.  I'm doing something similar today except I am spritzing.  I've always foiled the dozen or so that I've done so far and wanted to see how good the bark will be without foiling until 200* when I pull it.  I think the cooler time will allow for the harder bark (from not foiling) to soften just a little.  We shall see.  lol

Have you hit any stalls?  Mine (7 lbs) stalled at 162* for an hour and half and now I'm patiently waiting for it to bounce off 167* that its been at for an hour. lol

Happy smokin' and looking forward to your finish Qview.  
No stalls today.  I bought a two pack from Sams.  I'd guess this one is about 7 pounds.  Every time I peek this thing looks juicy as all get up.

I have high hopes for this one...

Glad it all turned out!  Had similar results today too.  If I can stay awake I'll post.  lol  Mine turned into a 13 1/2 hour marathon!  

nice...what rub? good crust? crust is my next goal...i got my ribs where i like them...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky