Pork shoulder took forever! Why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hey everyone! This exact situation has happened to me twice in a row now. This past weekend I smoked 2 pork shoulders that were about 3.5 pounds each. Most references say to allow around 1.5 hrs per pound at 225.
Well after prepping everything ahead of time, the shoulders went on at about 2pm and I had to pull them at 11pm when only at 190 because we had to eat them at some point lol. I even wrapped them at 165.
So what could the reason be for this? My smoker is a Camp Chef Smoke Pro pellet grill and maintains a pretty constant temp. If anything it runs a bit hot. Any input is appreciated! Thx

To quote @noboundaries (because this is true and and sage advice) "butts can't tell time" and they don't care what temp you cook them at.

As Jim mentioned above, your grate temp may not be at 225*

Reactions: webs05
Folks have written about the 1.5hrs per pound of meat. Its just a metric or guide, dont treat it as gospel. In reality the thickness of your meat matters more than weight. A thick piece of meat, almost regardless of weight, will cook faster than a thin piece. So you can cook a 3lb salmon fillet faster than a 2" thick ribeye in some cases.

Folks in these forums helped me understand about probe tenderness for pork butts and brisket. Basically these meats are done when they're done and not sooner.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I do take the temp right at the grate. Even tried another thermometer. Hmmmm. Strange. I understand the 1.5 hr is just a guideline, but I’d like to sometimes be able to plan a dinner for when others stop by. Glad that wasn’t this time haha.

Hey everyone! This exact situation has happened to me twice in a row now. This past weekend I smoked 2 pork shoulders that were about 3.5 pounds each. Most references say to allow around 1.5 hrs per pound at 225.
Well after prepping everything ahead of time, the shoulders went on at about 2pm and I had to pull them at 11pm when only at 190 because we had to eat them at some point lol. I even wrapped them at 165.
So what could the reason be for this? My smoker is a Camp Chef Smoke Pro pellet grill and maintains a pretty constant temp. If anything it runs a bit hot. Any input is appreciated! Thx

Hi there and welcome!

Here are a few things to consider:
  1. The estimation 1.5 hours per pound at 225F just may not be accurate
  2. You smoked 7 pounds of meat so at 1.5 hours per pound you were looking at 10.5 hours according to the guideline. Your smoke went 9 hours leaving 1.5 hours short of the guideline. Just because they were both 3.5 pounds you may not really cut down time too much at 225F.
  3. Plan to finish 4 hours early when smoking cuts like pork butts and brisket. So with roughly 10.5 hours of cooking time needed if you want to eat at 6pm dinner time then start at about 4am. 10.5 hours later puts you at 2:30pm when the pork butts would possibly be done. If they run longer you have more time. If they finish at 2:30pm or even at 1pm you are golden. You simply double wrap very well in foil and then wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter until 15 minutes before eating time - 5:45pm, and at the time you unwrap and shred. As long as you have wrapped them like a mummy they will be piping hot I guarantee it! See here where I rested 17.5 pounds of pork but for 5.5 hours and then shredded and ate. It was piping hot!

Finally, a pork butt or a brisket absolutely do not care at what temp you cook them at, they will turn out the same either way. At 275F a pork butt or brisket cooks at just a hair over 1 hour a pound. Feel free to save yourself more time and if you need to see results look at the pics above from 2 weeks ago :)

I hope this info helps! :emoji_blush:

Hi there and welcome!

Here are a few things to consider:
  1. The estimation 1.5 hours per pound at 225F just may not be accurate
  2. You smoked 7 pounds of meat so at 1.5 hours per pound you were looking at 10.5 hours according to the guideline. Your smoke went 9 hours leaving 1.5 hours short of the guideline. Just because they were both 3.5 pounds you may not really cut down time too much at 225F.
  3. Plan to finish 4 hours early when smoking cuts like pork butts and brisket. So with roughly 10.5 hours of cooking time needed if you want to eat at 6pm dinner time then start at about 4am. 10.5 hours later puts you at 2:30pm when the pork butts would possibly be done. If they run longer you have more time. If they finish at 2:30pm or even at 1pm you are golden. You simply double wrap very well in foil and then wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter until 15 minutes before eating time - 5:45pm, and at the time you unwrap and shred. As long as you have wrapped them like a mummy they will be piping hot I guarantee it! See here where I rested 17.5 pounds of pork but for 5.5 hours and then shredded and ate. It was piping hot!

Finally, a pork butt or a brisket absolutely do not care at what temp you cook them at, they will turn out the same either way. At 275F a pork butt or brisket cooks at just a hair over 1 hour a pound. Feel free to save yourself more time and if you need to see results look at the pics above from 2 weeks ago :)

I hope this info helps! :emoji_blush:

This is gold. Thank you tallbm.

I know I'm just reiterating what others have already said, but I don't think I've ever done a butt under 275 (insert smart-ass comment).
It just doesnt care.

But what temp is your butt to start, right from the fridg? Even being out for 30 min does next to nothing for internal temp.
Bone-in or boneless? Boneless takes longer I hear, never done a boneless butt.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky