Pork Shoulder Split in half

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funkenhoser

Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a pork shoulder from Costco. I opened it up this morning with the expectation of a 9hr cook day, only to find out the shoulder has been pre sliced down the middle bone in one side only. Any ideas on how this will affect my smoke/cook time?

Thanks in advance
Funk

Attachments

• RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 22
It will cook faster.
I would tie them to make a more round shape for an even cook

Base smoke time off what a the bigger half would take based on it weight.

The cook time estimate will be based on the heaviest piece. But generally, Half a Roast, Half the Time.
If you plan to Pull it there is no big gain by Tying. Tied Roast cook more evenly, Yes, but that is mostly for edge to edge even doneness, say Med/Rare Beef. Tied meat also holds a Pretty Shape for even slices and plate presentation. Tropics suggestion to tie makes a Valid point but will not have a big impact on Pulled Pork...JJ

what is the weight of each or total purchase weight? Costco only sells pork butts in two packs - at least where I am.

Update: almost 6hrs in, still not ready. Had them unwrapped for almost 4 hours at 225, and now wrapped at 250 going on 2 hrs

Thank you all for the advice

Update: almost 6hrs in, still not ready. Had them unwrapped for almost 4 hours at 225, and now wrapped at 250 going on 2 hrs

Thank you all for the advice
What kind of smoker are you using?
Are you making Pulled Pork or sliced?
Location would also help giving you any help we can
Richie

ok thats …Weird.

I run my butts unwrapped the whole cook. I like the simplicity.
I prefer going unwrapped too, but if there is trouble or they are cooking too slow, I use foil as a tool. Once upon a time we were cooking all the meat for a big ranch party and my partner took the overnight shift.
gcfWiA2.jpg
I came over to his house at 4AM and they were way, way dark and still tight. Three hours in the wrap with some Parkay and a 3 hour hotbox rest..... and they finished off as good as any pork shoulder I've ever had. I was sweating it though..

Turned out perfect! Thanks again guys!!

Attachments

• 8135022E-C990-4AA0-981B-D1B0923E9951.jpeg
    8135022E-C990-4AA0-981B-D1B0923E9951.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 9
Looks perfect. You might like to give this Finishing Sauce a go. Adds a true Southern BBQ flavor to Pulled Pork...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky