Pork Shoulder Rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
J- Use a rub for sure. Slather that pork butt with yellow mustard then sprinkle on the rub. Check the Smoking Meat links to the left and click on Rubs. I use the same rub on my pork butts that I use on my ribs.

J-Hawksmoke

My opinion is this...ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use a rub on your pork shoulder! As Earl D mentioned in his reply, coating the meat with yellow mustard is a good idea as it helps the rub to adhere to the meat better. The mustard flavor will be cooked away during the smoking process and will develop into a beautiful dark brown "bark" by the time it's done. As a rule, I will apply the mustard and rub the day before I plan to smoke, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in HD foil and leave it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or longer to marinate.

There are many different rub recipes available either commercially or right from this site. I prefer to make my own and have tried most of the recipes that I found in this forum, some I've used exactly as posted and others I have made minor modifications to suit my own tastes...they are all good, so I recommend that you experiment with them until you find "your" perfect combination. If you are looking for a sure thing though, I suggest that you give Jeff's Naked Rib Rub a try. I recently purchased it through the site and have gotten exactly the rave reviews that Jeff promises. (Please note that I do not know Jeff personally, nor have I ever met him outside of this forum, I am simply passing on my own personal opinion about a truly good recipe).

Well, I certainly hope this helps, J-Hawk, and welcome to the group. There is much to learn here, so check in often. Good Luck and keep on smokin'!

Cheers,
Brian

Howdy J-HAWKSMOKE.

I agree with the rest. A pork shoulder has a lot of meat when compared to the amount of surface area it has. So you need to get as much spice on the outside as possible to mix into the meat when it is pulled. The mustard helps to form a nice thick bark. Some people add a little more rub to the meat after pulling it.

Just a quick question. Do you guys let the rub set up for 24 hrs before going on the smoker?

I've been reading a lot of this guy's research: http://www.genuineideas.com/food.html

Really interesting stuff.  A dry brine 24 hours beforehand looks like the way to go.  As for mustard vs oil - I used oil last time around and it made a great bark.  Not sure if it's worth using mustard as it cooks away anyway.  Also, I would be curious to see what research has been done around smoke penetration of mustard vs oil. 

Yes I agree with you about the mustard. I use a little olive oil just to help the rub stick. Interesting link also thanks!

I used to use oil or mustard but find that I really don't need anything but the rub. The rub stays on with no problem and I haven't noticed any less bark.

I used to use oil or mustard but find that I really don't need anything but the rub. The rub stays on with no problem and I haven't noticed any less bark.
yeahthat.gif
  The only thing I do now is spray my grate with olive/vegetable/canola oil to prevent the meat from sticking, which didn't happen when I used to coat the meat with oil or mustard.  The rub sticks to the meat just fine with no oil/mustard and the bark is great.   

Rub is an absolute necessity with pork butt/shoulder.  Pretty bland without it. 

BTW, I see this is your first post J-HAWKSMOKE, be sure to stop in over at Roll Call and say "Hi!" 

Last edited:
....BTW, I see this is your first post J-HAWKSMOKE, be sure to stop in over at Roll Call and say "Hi!"
First post 10 years ago....a stop at Roll Call is probably moot by now.

BTW this is the oldest thread that I have seen resurrected on a site where bringing back old threads is a competitive sport
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky