Pork Shoulder Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ngoclinh23

Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Hey all, I'm new to the forum, currently living in Berkeley but from Sonoma. Just got put in charge of BBQ-ing at a tailgate for the Cal-Stanford game in a couple weeks. Wanting to do pork shoulder but haven't tried smoking one yet (just got my smoker this summer). You guys have any tips or recommendations? Going to practice this weekend. Go bears!

They are really quite easy to smoke.
I would recommend getting a bone in butt around 7-8 lbs.
You can trim most of the fat cap off & I like to put the fat on a rack above the butt so it drips down on it as it renders.
Figure about 2 hours per lb. at 225, & you would be looking for an internal meat temp of 200-205, or until probe tender.
Let it rest on the counter for about 1/2 hour & pull it apart with your hands. Get some good silicone gloves, cause it will still be hot. I say use your hands cause if you see any pieces of un-rendered fat you can remove them easily.
Then you will want to use a finishing sauce on the freshly pulled pork. Here is the one a lot of us use.
SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Lately I have been smoking my butts at a higher temp, here is one I did a while ago at 270-280.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ith-judys-pretzel-buns-thanks-mossymo.253165/

Good luck!
Al

Reactions: Philip Hall
Yup just follow Al's recommendation get the rolls and enjoy. Patience is the game here to reach the IT temperature is a long waiting game but the success of good easy to pull pork.

Warren

Heck I didn't know people in Berkeley ate meat. Thought it was lettuce, twigs and such requirement to live there. Anyway, how did the Pork turn out? Pulled pork is a crowd pleaser down in San Jose.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky