pork shoulder fat content

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hugho

Original poster
Oct 14, 2021
Pork shoulder fat content is said to be 30-35% in old threads on this forum. I am making my first sausage from a pork shoulder and I think there is nowhere near that amount in these american hogs. am I correct? I wonder if I am wasting my time with american pork shoulder without adding some pork fat?

The butt will usually be 80/20 the picnic a bit less.
The butt is just about the perfect meat/fat ratio for sausage.
Pork shoulder fat content is said to be 30-35% in old threads on this forum. I am making my first sausage from a pork shoulder and I think there is nowhere near that amount in these american hogs. am I correct? I wonder if I am wasting my time with american pork shoulder without adding some pork fat?

Hi there and welcome!

I've always read/understood the pork butt/shoulder to be 80/20 meat/fat ratio. I've made plenty sausage with it and and when I do my wild game sausage that has no fat, I add 20% fat to go 80/20 meat /fat for my sausages and they always come out fantastaic!

Reactions: WI Smoker77
Hugho, I'm also a newbie on here. I started making sausages from pork butt in February. Since then I've probably made 50 - 60# of this stuff and it gets better each time. I've been lucky enough to have a little extra money to support my habit. Was very fortunate to come across two different sales on pork butts. You can't beat .98 and .99 a pound. Anyway, from what I have read, researched and experienced is that the pork butt is a great selection of meat for making sausage. Just like what smokeymose stated....
Don't over-engineer it...

i never add any fat other than what is on the Boston Butts , and the only problem we have had is that it is hard to crank the handle on the mechanical vertical stuffers without adding fat or water , thats why a couple of years ago we switched to a water stuffer and man is it ever easier to stuff sausage using the water stuffer compared to the old crank type

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky