Pork Shoulder AND Brisket; gotta post somewhere...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alaskatoy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Wonju, South Korea
it's 2300 hours here in dayton. i just put on a 7 lb pork shoulder and will put on a 7 lb brisket in a couple hours. I am using a charcoal and wet wood chunk mix to do them up.

For the pork I did a rub with sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, thyme, and white pepper. I'll be spraying it w/ apple-pineapple juice mix over the course of the smoke/cook.

The brisket; I did a rub using a Weber Grind n Grill Kicken Chicken Seasoning. I'll spray or mop it w/ cheap beer later.

This forum is so great for getting up th motivation to try new things in/on the smoker. Thanks to all.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Your smoker may have the charcoal and wet wood... but I think you're the one on fire! Good Luck my friend.

thanks for the comments.

The Butt is at 170*. Should I pull it and wrap it. Should I leave ti alone till 190*. What should I do?????

Different folks do different, personally I would pull and wrap, take it to around 200, wrap in a heavy towel and place in a cooler for about 30 min. to and hour then pull. Remember to save the juice around the butt to put back on the pulled pork.

Thank for the quick reply. I took your advice and wrapped it. Before I did, I asked my 4-year old if you wanted some. Asked "are they ribs?" I told him no, but that it was kind of like ribs. When I told him it was a Boston Butt, he said, "yuk", but tried some off a corner after some coaxing then (this is the real test) he asked for more.
cool.gif

6474c909_vbattach14212.jpg

935f4787_vbattach14213.jpg

*Very* nice!! Pulled pork has to be my all-time favorite. When I collect my juice out of the foil, I put it in a ziplock bag and let it sit while I pull. When I'm done, I snip a small slit in the bottom of the bag with some scissors, and the good stuff drips onto the meat - the fat has risen to the top, and I pinch it shut before the extra fat gets mixed back in.

I should note that I only do that if I'm eating it right then... if I'm making a batch for later that's going in the fridge, I dump it all back in. The extra fat keeps it from drying out when it's heated up in a microwave.

Oh man I'm hungry now...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky