Pork Roll...had to try it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is ECA?
Encapsulated citric acid. It works both as a cure accelerator and a PH reducer, so you get a "tang" in the meat similar to fermentation. It's temperature activated and starts releasing at about 135°. It's the last ingredient you mix into your sausage batter, and it's recommended that you go straight to smoking/finishing the sausage after it's added.

SherryT SherryT great job!
I've posted a pretty long post on pork roll at another forum, Meatgistics, but won't post a link due to just reading something from mod not to post other internet links.
Post me the link in PM, if you don't care, I'm always up for a pork roll recipe I can use to maybe improve on my own.

Did some more research, grabbed a half-dozen Kaiser rolls this afternoon, and had another sammie for supper and discovered the bread you use DOES make a difference!

MUCH better than the one this morning!

I think I might have been a Jersey girl in another life! :emoji_laughing:

TPR-Sammie.jpg

Traditionally served on a New Jersey hard roll, but one has to make concessions when not everything is available lol.

Reactions: SherryT
A bakery or homemade bagel is also a great choice for the bread for a pork roll sammy.

Wow! That looks great!
I keep putting off making it, since I can get it at the commissary, or in Syracuse.

What grinder plate did you use?

Looks great! But is it a "real" hard roll from NJ / NYC??? :emoji_laughing:

Looks like you are missing a little bit of ketchup to make it official! You are really making miss the stuff now - for a time it seems like every morning I ate a Taylor ham and egg with cheese on a hard roll somewhere in northern NJ / Manhattan.

Great memories!!!

Reactions: DougE
Looks great! But is it a "real" hard roll from NJ / NYC??? :emoji_laughing:

Looks like you are missing a little bit of ketchup to make it official! You are really making miss the stuff now - for a time it seems like every morning I ate a Taylor ham and egg with cheese on a hard roll somewhere in northern NJ / Manhattan.

Great memories!!!
Nothing like a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sammy on a hard roll from a deli or off the roach coach. I've always been in the no ketchup camp, though.

Nothing like a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sammy on a hard roll from a deli or off the roach coach. I've always been in the no ketchup camp, though.
I've eaten from some awesome roach-coaches all around the city! :emoji_laughing: I miss the hard rolls - some mornings a coffee and a buttered roll was heaven!

Reactions: MJB05615 and DougE
I've eaten from some awesome roach-coaches all around the city! :emoji_laughing: I miss the hard rolls - some mornings a coffee and a buttered roll was heaven!
One thing I learned many years ago when I moved to the south is that "crusty" bread would be associated with being stale, which is why you won't find things like hard rolls and crusty Italian bread. It's a fair tradeoff though, I'd much rather be here in Kentucky, than back up north.

One thing I learned many years ago when I moved to the south is that "crusty" bread would be associated with being stale, which is why you won't find things like hard rolls and crusty Italian bread. It's a fair tradeoff though, I'd much rather be here in Kentucky, than back up north.

You're not entirely wrong!

I developed my love of crusty rolls and such in Germany, but until that time, if it wasn't soft and squishy, it was time to toss it (or, according to my GGM..."ain't fit to eat!").

I do see a lot more artisan-style breads nowadays, though, so hope springs eternal!

Reactions: DougE
I do see a lot more artisan-style breads nowadays, though, so hope springs eternal!
I'm seeing that, too. I moved to Kentucky in early 1984 and about the only bread available was so gummy would stick to your teeth. I learned to bake bread for that reason, but maybe 10 or so years ago, I developed issues with gluten, so all my bread recipes I developed kind of went south, no pun intended. I can bake an acceptable gluten free bread, but it still isn't real bread.

Yeah that looks great. I have never had Taylor ham, been wanting to try to make it but never have. I have a ham press too.

Just got home from a trip and cut into one I made 6 days ago, perfect! You can get an Encapsulated Lactic acid, Encapsulated Citric acid blend, called Smooth acid blend, from Spokane spices. I think it worked pretty good compared to ferment, and better than the ECA, if interested. Their shipping is less than web site says.
20221118_215445.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615 and DougE
Just got home from a trip and cut into one I made 6 days ago, perfect! You can get an Encapsulated Lactic acid, Encapsulated Citric acid blend, called Smooth acid blend, from Spokane spices. I think it worked pretty good compared to ferment, and better than the ECA, if interested. Their shipping is less than web site says.View attachment 648906
Looks delicious!

Reactions: Dave in AZ
I've been on a Taylor Ham fest for 3-days now after seeing this thread! :emoji_laughing: They sell the real McCoy in our local HEB (I wonder who thought that one up?) so I bought some but had to skip the wonder-bread sponge rolls that HEB calls Kaiser rolls and just cook the Taylor ham with a couple of eggs and enjoy! Beside - my doc would blow a gasket if I ate any wonder-bread of any kind. Nevertheless that Taylor ham is good stuff - reminds me of home!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky