Pork Riblets - First Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
So wanting to get back to some kind of normal, and wanting to give the BF what he wanted to eat, I found some Pork Riblets (which I've never seen in any grocery store here before) and decided to throw on some chicken leg quarters. Also added the doctored Bush's Maple Cured Bacon Beans, Smoked Stuffed Mushrooms, and some Smoked Deviled Eggs. 

I figured I'd do a modified 2-2-1 for the riblets. Rubbed with EVOO and some of my rub, back into the fridge for a few hours. Yes I know, not much color differentiation of the food, I was going to make corn on the cob but he didn't want it at the last minute. However he got what he wanted to eat!!!!!

6c094f4b_RubbedwithDustRub.jpg

On the smoker at 230* for 1.5 hrs with JD Oak Barrel Chips and Apple Pellets, then pulled them off and double wrapped in foil, with some clarified butter, brown sugar and apple juice. 

Back on the smoker for about 1.5 hrs, then unwrapped, onto a hot grill and brushed with Gates BBQ Original. 

f503d091_Finishedplate.jpg

Really liked the riblets and will definitely be doing those again. They came out tender and moist. The leftovers are easy to pack up for him to take when he goes back out of town to work.

c9423eb3_Platebite.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good start to back to normal.Riblets
huh.gif
 but they look good.Must be nice to be around good smoke again.
Thank you! It was great to just hang out and smoke some food! I think "Riblets" is a broad term and these may have even been inappropriately named after looking them up. From the description I found, these were more like Button Ribs. I added another pic to show the "bone" in one.

Here's what I found from Wikipedia: 

riblet  is an alternative to ribs. The actual riblet is the portion of a loin back rib (or baby back rib) that is cut off at the top (nearest the back bone) to give the rib a more uniform look. Loin back ribs don't always have this removed. When not removed they have a rounded look to them and are often referred to as baby back ribs. Riblets used to be thrown out by butchers, but have become popular due to their excellent flavor and lower cost.

Button ribs (or feather bones) are often confused with riblets mostly because Applebee's  sells these as "riblets". In fact, what Applebee's sells is found just past the ribs near the back bone, just underneath the tenderloin. This cut of meat actually has no bones, but instead has "buttons" of cartilaginous material with meat attached. The riblet cut was invented in Brisbane, Australia in 1986. By an english man named Robert Wilson, who was born in Liverpool.

Rib tips (or brisket) are found at the bottom of the spare ribs  by the sternum. The rib tips  have a high proportion of cartilage. The rib tips give the spare ribs  a rounded appearance. In an attempt to give the meat a more uniform appearance and make it easier to eat, this piece is sometimes removed, and the remaining spare ribs are referred to as Saint Louis style ribs.

Those look great Alesia - I bet they were tasty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky