Pork CSR Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
My plan today was to practice some more on baby backs. They have been coming out pretty good, but I knew I could do better. Just before going to the meat market, I saw a post here on burnt ends. So I picked up four nice boneless ribs to play with.

F710BF50-866A-4037-B405-4260EDD977B1.jpeg
I cubed them into one inch cubes. I placed them into two zip lock bags with a little vegetable oil and about a quarter cup of brown sugar based rub. I coated the cubes evenly and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator.

B10B6761-830D-4641-A593-06553887848A.jpeg
The next morning I fired up the smoker to 225 degrees with apple. I put the cubes on small trays with racks that I found that will fit my little thirty inch smoker. I added a bit more rub.

4EE7765C-9127-4C68-8749-EBDFFA6DAD17.jpeg

I let them smoke until they reached 160 degrees and pulled them. I put them into foil pans and added homemade brown sugar bourbon sauce. Give me a spoon and I’ll eat that sauce like soup.

75063DF1-F6B7-4AE4-A88C-DF5648A88EAB.jpeg
I put them back into the smoker and raised the temp to 300 degrees to set the bark. When they looked good, I covered the trays with foil for an additional thirty minutes.

B3E693B6-5E6C-49AB-BF28-699CF8F92953.jpeg
Wow. They stole the show. The have a ton of flavor and came out juicy and tender. These should be good with scalloped potato’s or roasted red potato’s.

The baby backs are the best I’ve done yet. I did the 3-2-1, but next time I will try 3-1-1 and adjust on the end. They are just a little too fall off the bone for my preference, but they taste great and are juicy. I’m getting better each time.

A2F87F34-6EBC-48C7-83F4-C81C695932A7.jpeg

A friend joined me to watch the smoker. To amuse ourselves during the smoke, I brought out the trail mix that I made yesterday from the cheese I smoked last week. I also put in some German sausages to smoke. Since it was cold out, a little Four Roses small batch to keep us warm. A good day!

77BA68B6-E57B-40AF-B15B-1CA191A1333A.jpeg

Last edited:
Look, and I’m sure tasted, great.
Did my first ones a week or two ago, and these are one of those “Where have you been all my life?” cooks.
They will be making a return for the Super Bowl for sure.

Reactions: OldSmoke
They look amazing! Care to share how you made your bourbon sauce?

Ryan

Thanks for sharing! I definitely need to try the pork CSR burnt ends. About how long did your smoke take on those?

They look amazing! Care to share how you made your bourbon sauce?

I wish I could say it was developed over years of testing and is a big secret.

I use Jeff's basic sauce recipe, using the full amount of Brer Rabbit, dial back the pepper a bit, and add 1/8 cup and a bit more to taste of Brown Sugar Bourbon (BSB). I think whiskey would work well, maybe dark rum too. I bought the BSB thinking about sauces, then discovered it goes pretty well in the cook too. I let it sit overnight for the flavors to meld - it makes a big difference. I can eat this stuff like soup.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely need to try the pork CSR burnt ends. About how long did your smoke take on those?

I had them on for about seven hours. Six with the baby backs and one to set the bark after saucing.

I think these are a great way to fill the cabinet void when smoking other meats.

Thank you everyone for your likes, I appreciate the interest. I am starting to turn out some decent smokes and the only reason I can is through the posts the you have shared. Part of the fun for me is researching new things to try. I also enjoy the side stories that come through the posts with the information on smoking. I'm getting to know some of you. Most of you aren't too scary.

I've learned that a good smoke is a better smoke when you can involve friends. I have some that are facing tough times and I use every smoke as an opportunity to learn and to share the meat. I look forward to hosting dinners and lunches again. I have a lot of hobbies, this one is the most fun.

Thank you!

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Looks delicious bud

They are pretty tasty. It was your suggestion to cover the pans with foil. And, it works! Mrs. Smoke just came up with the idea to make sandwiches using them. That should be interesting.

Thanks

Interesting post. I have been thinking about using CSR for burnt ends but thought maybe they would not have enough fat to render. I did burnt ends once with bone in country ribs and they turned out pretty good. I am going to switch my plan up for tomorrow and do CSR burnt ends instead of spares.

Interesting post. I have been thinking about using CSR for burnt ends but thought maybe they would not have enough fat to render. I did burnt ends once with bone in country ribs and they turned out pretty good. I am going to switch my plan up for tomorrow and do CSR burnt ends instead of spares.
You shouldn’t have any problem. Remember, they are just a sliced up butt.

Looks great. I'm a 3-1-1 guy too on baby backs if I decide to wrap. Currently doing a rack at 3-1-1 actually! Burnt ends look fantastic!

Reactions: OldSmoke
We had the ribs and burnt ends for dinner tonight. Mrs. Smoke made corn bread to go with it. I filled my growler at the local brewery and we had a very nice dinner. I have since decided the smoke on the ribs was as about as right on as I think I can get. There was just a slight cling to the bones.

I learned something interesting. The burnt ends had more of a kick than the ribs. I figured out that by dusting them the night before with rub, the pepper really set in. The ribs were milder since I did not apply rub the night before.. Both benefited by sitting overnight. They are now much richer tasting. Next time I will go a tad lighter on the rub the night before. I love it, but others may prefer it a little milder. The smoke ring on the cubes came out very nice.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky