Pork Chops 2nd round but still not perfected

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
The 1st round last week was brined from a recipe that I should have known had too much salt. And sure enough resulted in a salty flavor, eatable but not much more. This time everything was measured by weight to ensure a 5% brine was used. Result was no salty flavor, and the pork shinned through. However, in both attempts using Duroc chops, the meat was still lacking the moisture I was hoping to create with the brine. Guessing this is par for the course given the chops are for the most part quite lean. Leaning now towards using CSR's instead, given the higher fat content, for future grilling. These chops were still very good, just wanted more moisture.

IMG_5067.jpg

At lease they look good. Im in the same boat and think where expecting to much out of lean pork chops. What is CSR,s?

Reactions: schlotz
Matt , I think you're on the right track . My thought would be a thicker cut chop . Do exactly what you did this time . Thicker cut will be more forgiving ?

They look great Matt. Sorry not to expectations but you eat with your eyes first :emoji_wink:
These chops were still very good, just wanted more moisture.
As others have already noted, try pulling them earlier. I started doing that a while back and it makes a huge difference.
My thought would be a thicker cut chop
Rich has you covered here!! Same with steaks. A thicker cut is far more forgiving and much less likely to dry out.

Robert

They look great, sorry they didn’t turn out as expected! The thicker cut as mentioned above I think would help, great suggestion there by chopsaw chopsaw .

Just an idea, have you thought about the possibility of doing sous vide, then doing a sear!?! Just thinking out loud!

Reactions: schlotz and DougE
Just an idea, have you thought about the possibility of doing sous vide, then doing a sear!?! Just thinking out loud!
I was thinking the same thing. I SV at 145° for 2~3 hours, sear a minute or 2 per side, and get really tender, and juicy chops. Some of the best chops I've ever cooked were done this way.

You can see the juice on the plate where I cut it.
1657314940704.png

The chops look delicious. Do exactly what you did this time but pull them at 145* rest uncovered, so try to pull them close to plate time, otherwise pull and rest for 10 minutes uncovered then foil. This will keep IT no higher than 150* this is key for a moist chop or loin.

At lease they look good. Im in the same boat and think where expecting to much out of lean pork chops. What is CSR,s?
Thanks! CSR's are country style ribs
Matt , I think you're on the right track . My thought would be a thicker cut chop . Do exactly what you did this time . Thicker cut will be more forgiving ?
Possibly, although these were over 1".

What internal temp do you cook to? Mine come off the grill at 140 anything more and they dry out.
Pulled them at 137º and rested for 10-12 minutes before serving. Knew they would continue to climb in temp.

Just wondering what the temp was when you pulled them? Like A Apparition I’ve been pulling chops at a lower temp. Growing up on a farm my elder kin were scared to death of any pork containing the slightest bit of moisture so they turned everything into jerky.
Yup, 137º but even so, and them being a tad pink, they were still not as moist as I was hoping for.

Yep, try to get thicker and if they get above 150* IT they're dry.
Mine have been resting to 12* over take off temp for a 1-3/4 inch chop lately.
I prefer mine to rest to low 140's to 145*, they are still a bit pink and very juicy.
They do look pretty!
So, you are pulling around 130º?

I rarely let chops get above 140F no matter how I cook them. Pork chops are intolerant to higher IT's and will turn to cardboard in a flash. Just a personal preference but I don't care for a lot of char on chops, great on beef but not on pork.
Thanks for checking in!

interested in brining chops too. I started a thread on it, but havent made any yet.
I'll be interested in hearing what you discover!

They look great Matt. Sorry not to expectations but you eat with your eyes first :emoji_wink:

As others have already noted, try pulling them earlier. I started doing that a while back and it makes a huge difference.

Rich has you covered here!! Same with steaks. A thicker cut is far more forgiving and much less likely to dry out.

Robert
Thanks Robert! What IT are you pulling yours at these days?

Reactions: Apparition
They look great, sorry they didn’t turn out as expected! The thicker cut as mentioned above I think would help, great suggestion there by chopsaw chopsaw .

SV might be an option but that starts to get things into more effort that I'm willing to put forth. :emoji_laughing:

The chops look delicious. Do exactly what you did this time but pull them at 145* rest uncovered, so try to pull them close to plate time, otherwise pull and rest for 10 minutes uncovered then foil. This will keep IT no higher than 150* this is key for a moist chop or loin.
I pulled at 138º, waiting longer would probably not improve the moisture content given how lean the chops actually are,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky