Pork Chile Colorado, Cilantro lime cauliflower rice and more

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It was a cold and snowy day in Ohio today so other than some snow blowing it was cooking in the kitchen and football. The meal plan today was pork Chile Colorado , cilantro lime cauliflower rice and a clam ceviche stuffed avocado salad. I’ve posted my chili colorado here before but took some pics again today through the process. Here is a messy handwritten general ingredient list to start :)
CED2EDDC-B284-43CC-BB4B-65F7AEA3D0B3.png
9C4F2F4F-1E6E-4FF5-B799-E7852F5ECF4F.jpeg
So let’s get started. First up seeded the dried peppers and into a pan to toast.
0BCE2E9D-3262-4931-BB74-720AD06AE5EC.jpeg
Once the peppers are toasty fragrant I add around 4 cups of the broth and simmer for around 20 minutes. Don’t boil or you will add some bitterness.
5A370537-A320-4C0C-BD8C-8B0DCE16E6E0.jpeg
While the peppers simmer I diced and sautéed the onion.
F6EE2770-9497-431D-98CD-21BBA4F65A72.jpeg
The peppers are nice and soft and have released plenty of oils into the broth.
AC8329B3-44B9-4B02-816D-AC060ECBF5FF.jpeg
Into the blender with the peppers and broth plus any that was reserved and the onions. Makes a beautiful rich sauce.
8CD49237-598A-4004-A056-5CBA52B5BD95.jpeg
Trimmed and cubed up about 6 lbs. of pork butt. Trim off any heavy fat cap so you don’t end up with a lot of extra grease in the stew. If you do you can spoon it off the top.
F9D4155F-C87F-4372-9C8F-FA1553D163A8.jpeg
Brown all the cubed meat in a little oil. I use avocado but any is fine.
8E0CA585-16A5-4017-8D6A-36DD84C00553.jpeg
Finally the sauce, meat and spices into the pan to simmer for 3-4 hours until tender. You can toast the spices in a pan prior to adding for some extra flavor. I also used two packets of Sazon Goya instead of salt. Stuff is magic! Note I also put the bone from the butt in to stew. ( towards the end I add 1-2 T creamy peanut butter and 1-2 T white vinegar Sweetener isn’t needed as long as you didn’t make the peppers bitter
C6938EEB-38BE-46A6-A44A-C5855E8C1381.jpeg
While this was simmering I started on the ceviche. Now it’s more the taste of ceviche as opposed to the process since I used clocked minced clams. Flavor is great though. Not so precise on measuring here. Two cans of minced clams drained and about 1/3 cup minced cilantro
F04CBC27-6C58-4BF1-A862-FAA50EFD64C4.jpeg
Added a couple diced Roma’s, 2 clove garlic, 1t Mexican oregano , half a small red onion finely chopped and around 3T lime juice. Into the frig it goes.
450B0595-DA9B-48C8-BFF9-8E3E0605F977.jpeg
Took a break to blow the drive and a few walks and neighbors drive. Walked the dogs and back at it for the “rice”. First up diced 4 green onions and the remaining red onion I had. That and a t of minced garlic in the pan with a little oil.
E93A72C5-F7C2-42D9-A01C-E020A7607DF7.jpeg
4 cups riced cauliflower, 2 T chicken broth, 1/2 cup finely mince cilantro, zest of half a lime. Cooked on high heat for a few minutes and then stir in 1T lime juice.
E165EB22-F769-46D6-A791-62984B95FA6B.jpeg
Well if you are still here it’s time to eat :) First up is the salad. A giant Florida avocado stuffed with the ceviche, some of the avocado that was scooped out and a sprinkle of sea salt on a bed of spring greens.
A64AEBC1-D3B9-4E1A-8F03-F62A7817EF9A.jpeg
Here is the finished pork chile colorado. Topped off with some cilantro, Mexican crema and a few squeezes of lime.
1166981A-6131-4A04-89C2-CD345621478D.jpeg
Plated up for my wife , she usually eats like a bird and maybe half of anything I serve her. She murdered this lol.
EBCACBEF-10BD-4726-A540-1880F75E6D9C.jpeg
Thanks for looking! I sure enjoyed cooking it AND eating some.

Attachments

• E221EE74-5FF6-47A7-8D59-41D73B7DFE31.jpeg
    E221EE74-5FF6-47A7-8D59-41D73B7DFE31.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 9
Wow!!!! That is off the charts! Id make reservations, wear a tie, and pay good money for that meal! Beautiful build and pics, well done!

Reactions: jcam222
Wow!!!! That is off the charts! Id make reservations, wear a tie, and pay good money for that meal! Beautiful build and pics, well done!
Thanks! No tie needed here!
Whoa, sign me up! Whether using your Lang or just hanging out in your kitchen you produce one incredible cook after another. You are truly a culinary legend, I raise my glass! RAY
Thanks so much Ray! I’m a legend in my own mind haha.
This looks amazing! I’m very impressed.
Thanks Sven

Reactions: bauchjw
It was a cold and snowy day in Ohio today so other than some snow blowing it was cooking in the kitchen and football. The meal plan today was pork Chile Colorado , cilantro lime cauliflower rice and a clam ceviche stuffed avocado salad. I’ve posted my chili colorado here before but took some pics again today through the process. Here is a messy handwritten general ingredient list to start :) View attachment 523230View attachment 523231So let’s get started. First up seeded the dried peppers and into a pan to toast. View attachment 523232Once the peppers are toasty fragrant I add around 4 cups of the broth and simmer for around 20 minutes. Don’t boil or you will add some bitterness. View attachment 523237While the peppers simmer I diced and sautéed the onion. View attachment 523238The peppers are nice and soft and have released plenty of oils into the broth.View attachment 523239Into the blender with the peppers and broth plus any that was reserved and the onions. Makes a beautiful rich sauce.View attachment 523240Trimmed and cubed up about 6 lbs. of pork butt. Trim off any heavy fat cap so you don’t end up with a lot of extra grease in the stew. If you do you can spoon it off the top.View attachment 523241Brown all the cubed meat in a little oil. I use avocado but any is fine. View attachment 523242Finally the sauce, meat and spices into the pan to simmer for 3-4 hours until tender. You can toast the spices in a pan prior to adding for some extra flavor. I also used two packets of Sazon Goya instead of salt. Stuff is magic! Note I also put the bone from the butt in to stew. ( towards the end I add 1-2 T creamy peanut butter and 1-2 T white vinegar Sweetener isn’t needed as long as you didn’t make the peppers bitter View attachment 523243While this was simmering I started on the ceviche. Now it’s more the taste of ceviche as opposed to the process since I used clocked minced clams. Flavor is great though. Not so precise on measuring here. Two cans of minced clams drained and about 1/3 cup minced cilantroView attachment 523245Added a couple diced Roma’s, 2 clove garlic, 1t Mexican oregano , half a small red onion finely chopped and around 3T lime juice. Into the frig it goes.View attachment 523246Took a break to blow the drive and a few walks and neighbors drive. Walked the dogs and back at it for the “rice”. First up diced 4 green onions and the remaining red onion I had. That and a t of minced garlic in the pan with a little oil.View attachment 5232474 cups riced cauliflower, 2 T chicken broth, 1/2 cup finely mince cilantro, zest of half a lime. Cooked on high heat for a few minutes and then stir in 1T lime juice.View attachment 523248Well if you are still here it’s time to eat :) First up is the salad. A giant Florida avocado stuffed with the ceviche, some of the avocado that was scooped out and a sprinkle of sea salt on a bed of spring greens.View attachment 523249Here is the finished pork chile colorado. Topped off with some cilantro, Mexican crema and a few squeezes of lime. View attachment 523250Plated up for my wife , she usually eats like a bird and maybe half of anything I serve her. She murdered this lol.View attachment 523251Thanks for looking! I sure enjoyed cooking it AND eating some.
Beautiful

Looks fantastic. I've made a few batches of Chile Colorado this year, however, never added peanut butter. Is it for sweetness or consistency (or both)?

Looks fantastic. I've made a few batches of Chile Colorado this year, however, never added peanut butter. Is it for sweetness or consistency (or both)?
I think it just adds a richness that is hard to identify. Full disclosure my Mexican friends told me it’s a secret step their families have always used.

This looks absolutely great Jeff and I bookmarked this to try. I pretty much have all the ingredients on hand.

I’ve always wanted to make a chile colorado and this seems the perfect way to try.

I’m a fan of cilantro lime rice and even love cauliflower rice too, so I can go either way on that.

Beautiful
Take me back 30 years, I'd be all into it, just can't deal with the afterburners any more, not the tummy. 🥵
Holy 🤬 that look's killer Jeff!!!!!
Nice work Jeff . Fantastic .
That looks really good!

Good work clearing the driveway too!!
I remember this. Drooled then, drooling now.
As delicious as that looks, I'm surprised the neighbors weren't fighting over who was going to clear off your drive to get a bowl of that.
Thanks all for the kind words. As I said this is one of my all time favs for sure. I can take or leave the cauliflower rice but love the chili colorado. I don’t think the recipe will disappoint if you try it.

Great looking Chili Jeff, this is a great shot
View attachment 523262

It all sounds good , I might try it ( I would have to omit the clams for me )
But Mona would also dive into a bowl of that just the way you have it

David
Thanks David! I liked that shot too. I think the ceviche without clams would be pico and still great in an avocado!
This looks absolutely great Jeff and I bookmarked this to try. I pretty much have all the ingredients on hand.

I’ve always wanted to make a chile colorado and this seems the perfect way to try.

I’m a fan of cilantro lime rice and even love cauliflower rice too, so I can go either way on that.
Let me know if you have any questions on it Joe. You can also toss in a few arbol chilis if you like it spicy! I did the cauliflower rice for my wife. She’s loves it, I can take it or leave it. I most love pairing this with my cheese shell cheese enchiladas.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky