Pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbq dreams

Original poster
May 30, 2017
Wildomar California
I removed butt at 190 with manual probe, (my in meat probe was reading 199 so I decided remove before butt gets mushy) let it rest for one hour tightly wrapped with foil in cooler with kitchen towels on top. I pulled apart, it was a little tougher than I would like, probably right on the threshold between like butter and slightly harder, I was trying not to overcook since I don't like mush butt 🤔. So in the end my in meat thermometer is reading 10 degrees higher than my handheld instant read probe.

The flavor was incredible. Not my recipe btw. Just putting together recipes from the internet. I also used stubbs original bbq sauce on top of the vinegar sauce I made.

Used pitboss competition pellets on my Oklahoma Joe's highlander converted from offset to pellet smoker
Overall cook time 10 hrs at 250
Rest for 1 hour

Next time I will modify my cook i.e. I will wrap at 160. Keep the drippings and put back once pulled. Pull out at 195-200 let rest for 1 hour, I may use a water pan.
Below are pictures of final product:

RUB
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
4 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

SAUCE
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Attachments

• 20210725_145644.jpg
    20210725_145644.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210725_151346.jpg
    20210725_151346.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 33
Looks pretty good to me. I usually pull mine at 203* and. Let it rest for 2-3 hours in foil and a cooler. Just have always had good results with a longer rest time.
Me too. I pull at 201 IT, then I wrap in foil (if I haven't already, to push through the stall), then I wrap in a few old baby blankets and throw in a small cooler for as long as I can. Sometimes an hour, sometimes a few hours. Bone pulls out clean and I haven't ended up with mush.

Still looks good though, maybe not the texture you wanted but I bet the taste was great!

Reactions: bbq dreams
Don't get too tangled up with the internal temperature. You need to "feel" a butt or brisket for tenderness, and then rest a few hours. And, if it's not pullable, slice it. It's very good this way.

The three best probes are..... a bamboo skewer, an ice pick, and a Thermapen with some electrical tape over the display so you don't see the temp.

I like Thirdeye’s ideas. You just didn’t cook it long enough. I use a Therma pen but don’t cover the readout. When it probes tender, I pull it out & rest it under foil for an hour or so than the bone should wiggle out without any meat sticking to it. Next I use gloves to pull it cause you can find the unrendered fat & anything you don’t want to eat. I’m very particular about my PP. I don’t want anybody to get a bite that they have to spit out. So I am very careful when pulling it. And I always use a finishing sauce. JJ has a good one, but I use @ SflaQ’uers .
Al

No issue doing what you did if you want a slicing pork roast. Like others, that 200-205 is the sweet spot. No it wont be mushy. Definitely add the liquid gold back! Lots of good finishing sauces out there as Al mentioned. Very tasty! But I keep going back to just the pan drippings and nothing further. needed.

Reactions: bbq dreams
Looks Great, Dreams!!!
Nice Job!---Like.
I used to go by feel, but when my Butts were around 203° IT, they felt Just Right !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky