Pork butt temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brgbassmaster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Arizona
Ok so i pulled my two butts out to smoke after work on the UDS and put the probe into one of the butts and it read 34 degrees. Question is why is it still reading 34 degrees almost an hour later at 275 degree smoke?

One would think it would have gone up a little.......

Sounds like one of the thermometers are wrong or you hit a very stubborn pork butt. I have had times before where I take the temp in one spot to start and another spot later and have the same results as you.

Things to look at:

Are all probe calibrated correctly....

Cook chamber probe location. Is it all the way to the top or close to the fire.......should be closer to level with the food and shielded from direct heat for a more accurate reading.

Or it is just very stubborn....

Jeramy

Pork is pretty dense and if it is a large 8Lb Butt, 1 hour is not much time for heat energy to get to the center. If it is still that low after 2 hours, you have other issues...JJ

well its up to 160 now so i guess its good. It took quite awhile lol. i was getting irritated watching that maverick lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky