Pork Belly Safety

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
Just checking with you guys about food safety. I bought a half pork belly a few weeks ago; can’t really remember when, but I took note of the sell or freeze-by date, which was at least two weeks if I recall correctly, and into the fridge it went.

Well life and medical issues, starting my new job, etc, got in the way, so I waited until the last minute to do anything with the belly. It had one day left on the sell-by date when I took it out and prepared for curing. It looked fine and there was no odor. There was hardly any excess juice in the bag either. So I did a dry cure and back into the fridge. Today is the eighth day in the cure.

Question: as it was so close to sell-by date, before I opened it and added the curing agents, then another week or more in the fridge, you think it’s gonna be perfectly safe? There is still no odor, but one thing I’m curious about is, the curing didn’t pull out any moisture…none!

What say y’all?

Attachments

• IMG_4214.JPG
    IMG_4214.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4213.JPG
    IMG_4213.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 5
14 sounds good to me....it is rather thick, and you don't really get much penetration through the fat, huh?

Reactions: chopsaw
I just went by what was taught when I first joined . I used to get in a hurry , but now I usually have more than one thing going . That makes the wait easier .
Even the ham injection from Dave can be ready in 6 or 7 days , but going 14 gives better texture and flavor in my opinion .

Reactions: Fueling Around
I just went by what was taught when I first joined . I used to get in a hurry , but now I usually have more than one thing going . That makes the wait easier .
Even the ham injection from Dave can be ready in 6 or 7 days , but going 14 gives better texture and flavor in my opinion .
First time curing bacon, the 14 days is a hard wait. After that, no big deal.

Why do it differently after the first time?
I don't do it differently. I said the wait on the first one is rough, as in you don't yet know the outcome and are anxious to see how it's going to turn out. After the first one, the 14 day wait is no big deal.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
I don't do it differently. I said the wait on the first one is rough, as in you don't yet know the outcome and are anxious to see how it's going to turn out. After the first one, the 14 day wait is no big deal.
Makes complete sense, I just misread and didn’t understand it originally. You are 100% right on that.

Reactions: DougE
Living always gets in the way of well made plans.
Hope all is well with you.
Longer in cure is always better.
I use much lower salt than many here so I always have to go much longer.

I bought a half pork belly ...
It had one day left on the sell-by date when I took it out and prepared for curing. It looked fine and there was no odor.
Question: as it was so close to sell-by date, before I opened it and added the curing agents, then another week or more in the fridge, you think it’s gonna be perfectly safe? There is still no odor, but one thing I’m curious about is, the curing didn’t pull out any moisture…none!

What say y’all?
Was it sealed in a factory package? I guess it had to be as I've never had open packages of pork go more than a week (let alone 2 + weeks) in the fridge before turning into fly bait.
I miss Chef Jimmy. He was one of the food safety champions on SMF. I remember him saying that sealed meat from the processor is always good up to the sell by date provided it was kept in proper refrigeration.

Living always gets in the way of well made plans.
Hope all is well with you.
Longer in cure is always better.
I use much lower salt than many here so I always have to go much longer.

Was it sealed in a factory package? I guess it had to be as I've never had open packages of pork go more than a week (let alone 2 + weeks) in the fridge before turning into fly bait.
I miss Chef Jimmy. He was one of the food safety champions on SMF. I remember him saying that sealed meat from the processor is always good up to the sell by date provided it was kept in proper refrigeration.
Can't tell about factory packed or not. It's HEB and they probably sell a bunch, so it makes total sense to procure factory packed. Good color and no smell are good signs to me.

Thank you for your comments. I am struggling healing from back surgery, and starting a new job after a 30-month layoff! It's just bad timing to start a new job, but I couldn't let it get away either.

On the salt, not sure where I'm at comparatively; I used 1.5% salt and .75% sugar. Turned out well for me last time.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Best wishes on your recovery. I've only had 1 minor surgery (knee) and recovery was great even though it wasn't a complete repair. I got lucky.
Your salt is the running average of 1.5% salt and .25% cure for a total salt of 1.75%.
I go for total salt (including the cure) to under 1%. Since Covid a year ago, I am really sensitive to salt levels and sugar levels in food. I don't use sugars and I always triple the recommended cure times.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
chopsaw chopsaw has you covered. 1.5% min salt. Many leave out sugar so no burning when frying. 156ppm cure1 in the digging dog farms calculator for dry brine. Drop to 120ppm cure1 wet cure brining where water weight that covers the meat is added to meat weight and entered in the calculator. It should be fine @156ppm but the USDA contradicts the FDA and they contradict themselves. Fat will take on cure1. It inhibits rancidity with pork fat. Skin doesn't so back out 10% cure1 with skin on curing. Back out 40% with ribs for bacon on a stick for bone and back out 20% for bone in loin chops for the bone.

If it was bad, you would have known it from the smell as soon as you opened the bag. Believe me. Been there, done that.

chopsaw chopsaw has you covered. 1.5% min salt. Many leave out sugar so no burning when frying. 156ppm cure1 in the digging dog farms calculator for dry brine. Drop to 120ppm cure1 wet cure brining where water weight that covers the meat is added to meat weight and entered in the calculator. It should be fine @156ppm but the USDA contradicts the FDA and they contradict themselves. Fat will take on cure1. It inhibits rancidity with pork fat. Skin doesn't so back out 10% cure1 with skin on curing. Back out 40% with ribs for bacon on a stick for bone and back out 20% for bone in loin chops for the bone.
Very good points, thank you! Now I remember, it's the skin that won't let the cure through, not the fat.

I'm still curious, why no liquid is pulled out.
I've been doing bacon about 6 months now, mostly buckboard but did 3, maybe 4 bellies also. I don't get a ton of moisture out on every piece of meat either. One of the bellies was dang near dry throughout the whole process but it came out fine. Maybe it's due to the high fat content - just a guess.

I did piddle around with less time in the cure, but 2 weeks will always be my go-to if time allows. There is just something different - and the difference is better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky