Pork Barbecue Sauces

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mild, spicy and hot as hell :evil: .

According to the interview in my link in the above post the recipe has the following ingredients (how much and in what order is a secret. " I remembered how he told me they made it: vinegar, mustard, ketchup, a lot of black pepper, and a healthy slug of what Mr. Craig called “the meat drippings†– in essence the grease that dripped from the hams while they cooked. "

However it's made, it is a taste that stays stuck in your mind and your post about Starnes woke it up. :D Actually tastes a lot like the Starnes recipe.

I whipped up some of the Starnes you posted on here and that's good stuff. I'm going to make a second batch for our pork today!

Jaynik, I am glad you liked the Starnes sauce. I am always pleasantly surprised and pleased when someone likes it. A sauce like this is a regional thing. Folks from Western Kentucky instantly take a liking to it as it is the taste of pork Barbecue of that area but when others not from there like it, then I am surprised. Of course I am assuming that you are not from Western Kentucky. Since I live in Texas now, I also posted another sauce recipe native to the Texas Hill country. You might also like it. Look under this same topic, scroll down a few lines and see the post "Texas Hill Country Barbecue Sauce". The picture attached to it is the actual restaurant that inspired my sauce recipe.

Good luck.

Aubrey Page

--------------
OTBS 007

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now.

I love a light sauce.

I don't care for mustard sauces.

I don't care for vinegar based Southern sauces.

So I have a challenge for all SMF pulled pork smokers out there.

I got turned on to a mustard and vinegar based sauce (very thin) that is the cat's ass for pulled pork.

I can't believe I like this stuff.

No, I think I love this stuff.

Dream Land Barbecue Sauce out of Tuscaloosa Alabama.

Spoon it on, for you don't want to over sauce it.

I buy it by the 4 quart pack with free ground shipping. Thats like 8.50 a quart, which is not bad for 32oz of porky gold goodness

Dream Land BBQ <----- Clicky Linky

Here is a picture of the famous Starnes Barbecue in Paducah, Kentucky
4ca48910_vbattach11569.jpg

f33436e7_vbattach11421.jpg

47f4649e_vbattach11286.jpg

167425a7_vbattach11144.jpg

Welcome to the group, Smokin Stang!
Nice to see a home town boy here on the forum.

Go Tornadoes.

Regards,
Aubrey Page
---------------
OTBS #007

Thanks Aubrey. I have definately learned a lot about smoking. Paducah now has what they call Barbecue on the River held the last weekend of each September every year. Downtown Paducah is packed this weekend with people. They have diffferent classes from amateur to professional competing. Downtown Paducah is really awesome now. They have painted every section of the flood wall with different murals. Check out the link http://www.bbqontheriver.org/index2.htm

Dave

Aubrey, I found this looking for Starnes BBQ info on the web. Glad you posted it. I have been wanting to try to figure out how to duplicate the Starnes' flavor. You said it all here as this is one of the places (other being Leigh's BBQ near Kevil, KY) that I grew up on. (relatives are in Ballard Co, KY) I grew up an hour north in southern IL where there are not too many places. (17th St in Murphysboro came along later)
-flyin'illini

Thanks for the recipe, Aubrey.  Ironically I had just "googled" Starne's BBQ because last night I used my "last drop" of my imported bottle from Starne's in Paducah, KY.  You see, I am a Paducah native, born and bred, but now living in Bend, OR, by way of San Diego and San Clemente, CA.  We had a pretty good BBQ joint here called "Baldy's BBQ" but their sauce is thick and sweet... quite unlike the vinegar style of Starnes.  But, I will say the BBQ brisket at Baldy's will melt in your mouth...and their baby back ribs are lip-smackin' good too.  I'm downloading your counterfeit recipe (ha ha ha) to try myself, but am also re-ordering 2-3 bottles from Starne's as its shelf life is indefinate... proven when my Dad (now deceased) shipped me a quart size bottle years ago.

Cheers!   Go Big Blue!!!

@flyin'illini:  Wow, just mentioning Leigh's BBQ in Kevil made my tummy growl for one of their sandwiches.  I used to stop by there for lunch from time to time when I was working for a contractor at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant in West Paducah.  Leigh's was my second favorite to Starne's in Paducah.

Cheers!

Bob

I added a 1/4 tsp of ground ginger and tomato sauce instead of ketchup and I think it is a bit closer to the original Starnes sauce.  I have made this so many times and made subtle changes looking to find one that is as good as Starnes.  I think the ginger did it.

So here is the recipe:

Paducah Ky Secret sauce
Aubrey Pageâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Version

3 TBSP Ketchup (Heinz)
4 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (1/4 cup)
1 TBSP water
1 Tsp Black Pepper (fine ground)
¼ Tsp White pepper
½ Tsp Cayenne (red) pepper (or more to taste, locals will use 1 Tsp)
2 Tsp Tabasco or other red pepper sauce

All measures are level measurements.

Mix it in a small Tupperware container and shake to mix. Store at room temperature but if you are not going to use it for a while, refrigerate or just throw it away and make fresh next time. Some folks add a little sugar but I think this is closer to the Starnes recipe in taste. This sauce is hot but not as hot as some like it. Just add more cayenne if you want it hotter like at the restaurant. Enjoy!

Regards,
Aubrey Page

thanks bro!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm from paducah but i live in central america now, the country of belize. i almost cried (well maybe i did) when i found your starnes recipe. thanks to whomever for the pics as well. i can smell the hickory smoke!

j

Last edited:
Being born and raised across the river from Paducah, KY., I only know of one good sauce, that being Starne's. It is great on everything, fried chicken, potato salad, white beans, etc. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

I've gradually started going to a thin vinegar sauce almost exclusively for pork...it doesn't interfere as much with the meat's flavor and the smoke (I'm typically a "dry" guy, anyway).  While it's most associated with the Southeast, it's also quite popular here in Missouri, especially into the boot-heel region of the state.  Here's my recipe...bring everything to a low boil and then turn off the heat and cover for a little while.  Hope you vinegar lovers enjoy it.

2 cups cider vinegar

3 tbsp ketchup

3 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp salt

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp Worcestershire

1 tbsp Frank’s hot sauce

1 tsp black pepper

½ tsp garlic powder

¼ tsp white pepper

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky