Pork Back Fat vs Pork Leg Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sk5223

Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Hello, all. Newb here - please be gentle.

A assuage recipe that I want to make calls for pork "back fat" Local butcher only has pork "leg fat", presumably because he wants the back fat for HIS sausages! Would it be okay to use the leg fat? What would this do to the sausages?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

SK, I'm not sure what type of sausage you are making, some don't require any back fat. A good source of back fat is a pork butt, usually get a pound or more off each one(8-9# range).Not familiar with leg fat ? A good pork sausage could be made from a pork butt ,I trim off the majority of back fat and save it for venison sausage or dry cured sausage were cubed back fat is needed.

Last edited:
As long as it is the outer layer of fat off the ham of the pig, it will be ok. What you do not want too much of is the intermuscular fat between the muscles. This is soft fat and has a different make up and composition than the outer layer just under the skin on the back and legs.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks, crazymoon. I have seen some similar recipes that do indeed use pork butt. WIll definitely consider that!

Reactions: crazymoon
The fat covering the loins is the actual backfat. I am sure the very outside of the hams would work.
IMG_20180203_122332852.jpg

See the fat on the loins?

Thanx. Up until now I've only seen the back fat on a styrofoam tray! :emoji_sunglasses:

Fat under the Skin, back, legs and belly are all identical in taste and texture. All firm and great for coarse sausages...JJ

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow. Glad I saw this thread. Good info. I am going to order my grinder and stuffer today and take the plunge into sticks and sausage making. This forum is a bad influence...🙃

Just a quick follow-up. Pork butt wasn't available. I used Pork Shoulder and Pork leg fat to make the bangers. And, thanks to the encouragement form this group, they were nothing short of amazing!

I used the recipe at https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade-british-bangers/. Beautiful texture, nice casing snap and great flavour.

Banger 'n Mash pic attached.

Many thanks for the help / suggestions!
IMG_1247a.jpg

Reactions: ChetRipley
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky