Pork Baby Backs - 2nd attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nopigleftbehind

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Southern California
So I apologize for only having the ending pic.  The baby backs looked amazing coming out after doing a rough 2.5, 2, 0.5 timing method.   Used a dry rub recipe from right off this site.  As well as one rack got a foiling juice.  Have a couple of questions though.  Had 3 racks total.  Also smoked a chicken.  Ran my smoker at 275 degrees.  Opened the smoker to take out the chicken, at each interval so 3 times total.  Double foiled the ribs with heavy duty foil.  The ribs came out looking good, with a good tender texture.  Not fall off the bone but good separation.

1.  The ribs came out "dry" to me.  I did have them in the oven at 170 for 30 minutes before serving.  (my guests crushed them and were all compliments) For me they were just good.  And they all tasted roughly the same.  How Can I achieve or what might I have done that made them "dry" and not more juicy???

2.  Also, if I want to achieve a more fall off the bone texture what can I do or what did I do that might have prevented that????

3.  I am a dry rub guy and if anyone has every had bad bobs bbq in TENN and KY, he has a dry finishing rub you put on after the ribs come out that is killer (anyone have a recipe for something like that???).  I found the ribs to lack a sweet taste - what can I add in the rub or in a sauce that might help me achieve that???

As always thanks for your help and time. 

So I apologize for only having the ending pic.  The baby backs looked amazing coming out after doing a rough 2.5, 2, 0.5 timing method.   Used a dry rub recipe from right off this site.  As well as one rack got a foiling juice.  Have a couple of questions though.  Had 3 racks total.  Also smoked a chicken.  Ran my smoker at 275 degrees.  Opened the smoker to take out the chicken, at each interval so 3 times total.  Double foiled the ribs with heavy duty foil.  The ribs came out looking good, with a good tender texture.  Not fall off the bone but good separation.

1.  The ribs came out "dry" to me.  I did have them in the oven at 170 for 30 minutes before serving.  (my guests crushed them and were all compliments) For me they were just good.  And they all tasted roughly the same.  How Can I achieve or what might I have done that made them "dry" and not more juicy??? Were they foiled in the oven?

2.  Also, if I want to achieve a more fall off the bone texture what can I do or what did I do that might have prevented that???? Longer in the foiling stage may help.

3.  I am a dry rub guy and if anyone has every had bad bobs bbq in TENN and KY, he has a dry finishing rub you put on after the ribs come out that is killer (anyone have a recipe for something like that???).  I found the ribs to lack a sweet taste - what can I add in the rub or in a sauce that might help me achieve that??? I usually do ribs in layers, first layer is a mop with Worcestershire, soy and coke or JD, the last 60 minutes I start building a glaze, every 10 minutes I brush on my preferred sauce, this makes them like sticky buns, my last layer that I sometimes skip is a slight char to set everything, I put the glazed ribs over direct heat a few minutes flipping to caramelize and give the ribs a slight char.

As always thanks for your help and time. 

I use time as an estimate for ribs but pull the ribs after they pass the bend test, all ribs cook differently.

Great advice. I will definitely try the mop recipe to see if there is a difference.  I did put them in the oven with the foil/apple juice mixture.  Thought that would prevent them from drying out.  Could I have OVER cooked them?

Great advice. I will definitely try the mop recipe to see if there is a difference.  I did put them in the oven with the foil/apple juice mixture.  Thought that would prevent them from drying out.  Could I have OVER cooked them?
Not sure if that was your problem but many don't realize that you can dry out meat by boiling in liquid too long.
Ever have an overcooked pot roast... Very dry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky