Pork and Beans time again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Been working may tail off. Took an a**load of extra shifts to pay vet bills, extra bills and to try and get my mind off of losing Mouse. Yesterday was my 7th day in a row and my third double in a row. Tomorow will be my 4th double, Mondays a double and I won't see a day off till Wednesday. Cool for the pocketbook but bad on my feet and my back is just killing me. I run 197 pounds with my gear and 172 without :<(. I usually don't wear a vest but 2 of the three sites I have been working are armed, vest wearing sites. I really need to get an external carrier but the company only allows uniform carriers and I haven't found one that my Point Blank fits in right. I might head to the local cop shop for a fitting. The internals squeezing my fat a** like a bad date after a night of tequila. I blame the last year of good BBQ and a site where I sit and watch HBOMax and Amazon all night lol.

I am gonna go a little different this time the last batch was way way to hot. This is the plan. Last pic is finished close up. Seems good still a little hot but manageable lol. The honey chipotle killer be and the apple chipotle BBQ sauce ratcheted it up just enough

3 15 oz cans pinto beans drained
1/2 cup bbq sauce Kinders Mild BBQ
1/2 cup baby rays
Splash of Kosmos apple chipotle
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup kosmos Honey chipotle killer bee
1/4 cup molasses and honey
1 small can of tomato paste not added yet will add to thicken if I need it.
1 small can of diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 sweet onion
1 red onion
1 pack applewood thick cut bacon cut into 4th's and cooked a bit before goin in
1 pack little smokies cut into quarters
1 pork loin chop cut into small pieces
beans and liquid.jpg
meat.jpg
ready to cook.jpg
done.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!! That looks like a fantastic pot of beans right there. Lots of different ingredients must make for some really complex flavors. Next time BBQ is cooked I'm likely to put together a batch of these. Thanks for sharing the details.

Robert

Reactions: negolien
Mixed, I sometimes just willy nilly ad stuff I think I will go with just honey next time not really a fan of molasses. I was thinkin about all the stuff when someone mentioned the complex tastes. I wonder if it's a mistake to add so much different stuff? Don't get me wrong tastes great but maybe I should just use one sauce and the bbq rub instead off all the other stuff. the meat and paste and diced tomatoes and green chiles will stay the same. /shrug guess i will try it next time. Yes, BTW that's a meal not a side lol IMHO. We're really tight on cash so I tend to buy the ingredients one at a time then eventually I just throw it together. I do that with my chili too. The Pork loin was me just trying to get rid of those from my freezer. They are .99 cents a pound so everytime I can I get 5 lbs. The weird bone cuts make them hard to eat as a main dish.

Last edited:
Christian

First , great pot of beans and I can see that being made here sometime soon

Second , that was a lot of hours of work and like you said helped pay your med bills, And again sorry about Mouse :emoji_sob:

Third , the working would have taken your mind off of that if only for a little while, They say time heals things , but it has been 3 years for me as of April 1st for Gabby and I still miss her every day

David

Sorry for the loss. I know the felling all to well. My vet felt sorry for me at one point with Gretchen and gave me some grant money. The beans look fantastic!

• Sad
Hey All,

Been working may tail off. Took an a**load of extra shifts to pay vet bills, extra bills and to try and get my mind off of losing Mouse. Yesterday was my 7th day in a row and my third double in a row. Tomorow will be my 4th double, Mondays a double and I won't see a day off till Wednesday. Cool for the pocketbook but bad on my feet and my back is just killing me. I run 197 pounds with my gear and 172 without :<(. I usually don't wear a vest but 2 of the three sites I have been working are armed, vest wearing sites. I really need to get an external carrier but the company only allows uniform carriers and I haven't found one that my Point Blank fits in right. I might head to the local cop shop for a fitting. The internals squeezing my fat a** like a bad date after a night of tequila. I blame the last year of good BBQ and a site where I sit and watch HBOMax and Amazon all night lol.

I am gonna go a little different this time the last batch was way way to hot. This is the plan. Last pic is finished close up. Seems good still a little hot but manageable lol. The honey chipotle killer be and the apple chipotle BBQ sauce ratcheted it up just enough

3 15 oz cans pinto beans drained
1/2 cup bbq sauce Kinders Mild BBQ
1/2 cup baby rays
Splash of Kosmos apple chipotle
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup kosmos Honey chipotle killer bee
1/4 cup molasses and honey
1 small can of tomato paste not added yet will add to thicken if I need it.
1 small can of diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 sweet onion
1 red onion
1 pack applewood thick cut bacon cut into 4th's and cooked a bit before goin in
1 pack little smokies cut into quarters
1 pork loin chop cut into small pieces
View attachment 627796View attachment 627797View attachment 627798View attachment 627803
Looks awesome!

I remember long hours, weeks without a day off, 20 hour work days while working on dairy farms, 21 years in the Army..... the memories

• Haha
Christian

First , great pot of beans and I can see that being made here sometime soon

Second , that was a lot of hours of work and like you said helped pay your med bills, And again sorry about Mouse :emoji_sob:

Third , the working would have taken your mind off of that if only for a little while, They say time heals things , but it has been 3 years for me as of April 1st for Gabby and I still miss her every day

David

Thanks, I' am doing surprisingly well to be honest. It's kinda weird. When I put down mouse's sister Yoda like 2 years ago it really tore me up. I felt like I did it too soon. I had been waffling on mouse for a few months and her mobility had really taken a turn for the worse the last few years. She probably walked 30 feet max from one area to another. She had some kinda Lower gi issue the last 2 weeks so maybe it was the fact i 100% knew she was in pain that made it easier. This is the last shot of her that is appropriate. She had gotten the Adavan shot and I was chillin with her on the vet room floor probably 5 mins before I lost my best friend :<(. At least I was able to be with her and sing her praises. Like I had said in the other thread i know some handlers that weren't able to be there for their partners. Fk covid and fk their idiot rules. All I got to say about that.
last good mouse.jpg

It's a tough call to make on the one's we love, but it's a call we all have to make at some point. Second guessing ourselves is human nature. I've done it with all of our pets. Except Skidmark. He and I knew it was time.

Those beans look really good and filling. Heck you may even get a boost of turbo in the morning to help you move around in all that gear.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Yeah I regret not having hard copy pictures of them as babies. I have two I found. One of them as a kitten pile and one of mouse before she got fat. Amazingly little **er was 100% white with blue eyes when she was born. We had to rub the snot out of her to get her to live. I am getting a external HD for important pics and docs.

As for the beans I put paste in to thicken it up at end and I don't like the taste it ads. Otherwise was pretty good. I only had 2 reg pintos so I added a 3rd can of pinto chili beans. I figured not a whole lot of difference just a little spicier right? I cooked em 5 hours but some of the beans are a little hard wondering if those were the chilis. They were the same brand. I just can't get em to be the same as the first batch and i took fairly good notes LOL. We all been there /shrug. Just give me an excuse to make em again LOL.
20220404_074521.jpg
20220404_074550.jpg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Love the pictures . When our first of the girls ( In our last patch of pets ) passed away all of a sudden a few years back we had a pendent done with her name and her picture laser etched into it. And it now hangs around her urn. Than when Gabby passed we had her cremated also. And when we were down in Florida we took with us pictures of the girls with us to get ones made for Gabby and her 2 living sisters ( the 2 pendants are put away in the safe until hopefully a long time from now. So here is a picture of the pendants on the urns, which we keep in our room in a nice standing glass cabinet. Gabbys is large enough for the other girls when ever that might be.

Sad times

David Lighting not that good to show Chantelle's
DSC_4270.JPG

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky