Porchetta - Italian Marketplace Slow Roast Pulled (Input Needed)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
[h2]Here is a recipe I have been working on, its modified of course from the original, the original is posted below the first recipe.I would appreciate any input and/or ideas for this recipe, got it from Food.com[/h2][h2] [/h2][h2]Porchetta - Italian Marketplace Slow Roast Pulled Pork Sandwich[/h2]
Tweaked recipe

[h2]Ingredients:[/h2]
  • 6-8 pork shoulder/ Butt, boned, trimmed of fat and butterflied
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large onion, peeled and finely diced
  • 12 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
  • 1/4 cup fennel seeds
  • 1/3 cup fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
  • 8 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ground cloves
  • 2 tablespoon Sea salt
  • 1 tablepoon fresh ground black pepper
  • ciabatta rolls
[h2]Directions:[/h2]
  • Lay the pork on a large chopping board and cover with cling film. With a rolling pin, mallet, or other suitable blunt object, pound the meat as close to an even 1" thickness that you can manage.
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium high. Add all of the chopped onion, half the minced garlic, half the fennel seeds, all of the rosemary and bay, half of the ground cloves, salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all the fragrance has been released from the herbs and spices. Transfer to a plate to cool.
  • Spread and rub this mixture over and into the pork, then roll the meat up as tightly and neatly as you can. Tie with kitchen string at intervals.
  • Mix the remaining ingredients (minced garlic, fennel seeds, ground cloves, olive oil) and rub it over the outside of the pork. Cover it with cling film and refrigerate 24 hours, or at least overnight.
  • Remove the meat 40 minutes before Smoking to allow it to return to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat the smoker to 300°F Take the cling film off the pork and place the pork on the smoker grates, slowly bringing the temp down to 250°.
  • Smoke the pork to an internal temp of150°, wrap in foil and place in roasting pan.
  • Cook to an internal temp of 205°.
  • Remove Pork from the smoker wrap in towels and place in cooler and rest for at least 1 hour, meanwhile separate the grease from the drippings
  • Pull or shred the meat add the reserved drippings ?? serve in warmed ciabatta rolls.
Original Recipe

[h2]Ingredients:[/h2]
[h3]Servings Size[/h3]
  • 2 kg pork shoulder, boned, trimmed of fat and butterflied
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
  • 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
  • 2 -3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
  • 4 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 10 ciabatta rolls
[h2]Directions:[/h2]
Prep Time: 1 day

Total Time: 1 day
  1. 1 Lay the pork on a large chopping board and cover with cling film. With a rolling pin, mallet, or other suitable blunt object, pound the meat as close to an even 1" thickness that you can manage.
  2. 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium high. Add all of the chopped onion, half the minced garlic, half the fennel seeds, all of the rosemary and bay, half of the ground cloves, salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all the fragrance has been released from the herbs and spices. Transfer to a plate to cool.
  3. 3 Spread and rub this mixture over and into the pork, then roll the meat up as tightly and neatly as you can. Tie with kitchen string at intervals.
  4. 4 Mix the remaining ingredients (minced garlic, fennel seeds, ground cloves, olive oil) and rub it over the outside of the pork. Cover it with cling film and refrigerate 24 hours, or at least overnight.
  5. 5 Remove the meat 40 minutes before cooking to allow it to return to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150C/300F Take the cling film off the pork and place the pork joint in to a roasting tin.
  6. 6 Cook the pork for 4 hours to 5 hours, until it is falling apart when you test it with a knife or fork. If the spices on the surface start to char too badly (a little blackness is a good thing), tent foil loosely over the roast. (I find I need to cover it for the last hour of cooking.).
  7. 7 CROCK POT - at this stage, cook the pork in a crock pot for 4 to 5 hours on high, or on automatic for up to 8 hours.
  8. 8 Remove from the oven and leave to rest at least 30 minutes to one hour. Slice, pull or shred the meat and serve in warmed ciabatta rolls.

Will this be similar to a pork sammie from like Dinik's?  I don't like the broccoli rabe, but a good Philly pork sammie is killer!  I know I've seen porchetta, actually at Giant they now have a dietz & watson lunch meat porchetta, although I haven't tried it...

Don't know that I would mess with it much.  The basics are all there, so it is just a matter of personal taste on the flavoring/ingredients.

I've been looking for a Porchetta Recipe!!

I'm a freak for Fennel Seeds, so this looks great to me.

Todd

I've been looking for a Porchetta Recipe!!

I'm a freak for Fennel Seeds, so this looks great to me.

Todd
Try toasting and grinding a little fennel seed and adding it to your rib/butt/ or chicken rub. It is really good! Just be carefull because the fresh ground stuff really comes through, so start with less than you think you need. It adds a really nice unexpected flavor to smoked chicken and pork.

What input are you looking for? Sounds like a good recipe for me. I will be trying this.

I was looking for input on the cooking method conversion from Oven to Smoker

And also on the Ingredients scaling...sometimes just doubling ingredients to double a recipe doesn't always come out the way the original recipe was intended.

Will this be similar to a pork sammie from like Dinik's?  I don't like the broccoli rabe, but a good Philly pork sammie is killer!  I know I've seen porchetta, actually at Giant they now have a dietz & watson lunch meat porchetta, although I haven't tried it...
Yes this will be for PP sammies

I found my answer for spice doubling, 2nd part is very interesting.
[h3]Dried vs. Fresh Conversion Table[/h3]
Use These ConversionsFreshDried
Basil1Tbsp1 tsp
Cilantro1 Tbsp1 tsp
Garlic*1 Tbsp3/4 tsp
Garlic Clove1 clove1/4 tsp
Onion*1/3 cup2 tsp
Parsley1 Tbsp1 tsp

[h3]http://Recipe Multiplication Guidelines[/h3]

Black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, curry powder, chili powder, allspice and cloves can usually be increased proportionally, (double the recipe, double the spice or blend of spices).

Herbs are best increased by this simple formula. For the first 100% increase in the number of portions, the herbs can also be doubled. After that, for each multiple of the original recipe, add only half the original amount.

Remember red hot pepper builds up in recipes. For the first doubling of the recipe, the red pepper can still be doubled. But after that, use only 1/4 the original amount of pepper for each multiple of the original recipe.
RecipeMult.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now I jusr returned back from the frozen tundra and they have some stuff called porketta. Is this stuff like that stuff??? They also call it a Jersey Ham ???? It wasn't bad but I could live without it.

icon_cool.gif

Now I jusr returned back from the frozen tundra and they have some stuff called porketta. Is this stuff like that stuff??? They also call it a Jersey Ham ???? It wasn't bad but I could live without it.

Was it sliced or did you have it pulled?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky