Pop's Original Bacon-On-A-Stick Wet Brine Method!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
For the 4th I'm doing spares in my smokehouse, 4 racks of them.  I'm going to put rub on and smoke them using the 3-2-1 method.  However, 1 of them I'm doing a little different...

I'm pickling the rack in salt/sugar/curing salt wet cure for 3 days, the same I use for bacon!  When separated into ribs, they should taste like bacon on a stick!  Dunno if we'll like them but now's the best time to try, I've got 3 traditional spares to fall back on if we don't!

Here they are in a bucket with a gal. ziploc bag half-full of water holding them down in the brine:

f57ce621_001.jpg

They're all going in the smoker in the morning about 7, be done by 1 for the party at my son's house at 3.  I'll post pics of the finished products and let you know how they go over with the families (my harshest critics, but tempered if they get to eat all they want, lol!)

Last edited:
Reactions: disco
They went in at 7am, good thing the house oven has 2 grates, lol!  Smoked from 7am to 10am with a mix of hickory and mesquite chunks; rubbed the 3 regular spares with rub and just a light sprinkle on the pickled one.  Pulled them at 10 am and wrapped in foil with a douse of apple juice on each one and put back in the smokehouse, reversing their layer (top ones on the lower rack, bottom ones on the higher rack) so they all get even cooking temps overall.  Some pics:

d4cda731_005.jpg

Regular rack of spares with rub (a few drip marks from ones above, just extra flavor!) getting foiled and juiced.

1766e6b9_006.jpg

Pickled spare w/a few drip marks too!

d8c3c408_007.jpg

Back in the Smokehouse foiled and on racks (good thing the wife isn't making her baked beans this year, oldest son is.. I'd have to prop up the pan with bricks or something!).

f52f3847_008.jpg

I foiled my drip pans then laid large sheets over them to catch the drippings where the drippans wouldn't, angling sheets down into pans.  Its working great, keeping any drips out of the pan or off the floor that could cause mold.  I'm happy to report even in 100°+ heat with 90%+ humidity for the last 2 weeks or more (gulf stream humid, dripping weather coming up from the south instead of dome of high pressure from the west that usually brings us dry, desert heat) plus anything from the spring also, I've had no mold problems inside the smokehouse whatsoever.   I have sprayed it inside a couple times with 1/2 clorox - 1/2 water mixture just to be sure.  I'm more and more impressed with this smokehouse the more I use it!).

Anyways, I digress... let cook for 2 hours in foil, then unwrap and finish for an hour!  I don't think I'll mop with any BBQ sauce, I'll serve with it on the side instead.  The rub brings more than enough flavor.

Out of the foil and my wife kindly convinced me ("... uh.. Yes Dear..") that she would like me to put sauce on them so a layer of sauce was added.  They are ready to go back in for the last hour:

baa6e4b4_014.jpg

The bottom one being the pickled rack.  Another view:

649acc6b_010.jpg

Looks beautiful but I'm dying here, does it taste like bacon?
yessssssss  bacon-on-a-stick it is!

In the smokehouse:

43af4ba0_016.jpg

I wanted to see if they were being enveloped by the smoke or was it being drafted away from the upper rack as the top vent is even with it... the envelope is good!

I tried to carve for display but people risked their fingers grabbing for the ribs as I sliced them off... finally I finished all four racks, the pickled one in the front row (what's left of them) and that's all that was left when I got a chance to stop, one took a whole brisket to knaw on!.  CARNIVORES!  They all loved both, extra kudos on the pickled ones!

b7c586f1_017.jpg

They were more than half gone before I got a chance to wipe off my hands and snap a picture, and after that it was downhill all the way!  Oldest son has placed a permanent request that at least one rack be pickled from now on and hands -off until he gets to them!

Bacon on a stick will be a must try soon. Any chance you might share your cure? I made belly bacon once so far with a dry cure.

Sure, I've published it on here many times.  It's:

1 gallon water

1 cup brown sugar*

1 cup white sugar*

1 cup salt

1 tbsp. instacure #1
 stir thoroughly

* you can substitute Splenda® or equiv. for sugar and brown sugar one for one

I use this in all pickles; ham, bacon, turkey, chicken, offals, corned beef, etc.  (For dried beef I double the salt).  I will use this also to pump with too as well as soak.

Speaking of dried beef, here is some pics from a post I did on this about a year or so ago, using sucralose products vs. sugar:

f9795e47_014.jpg

Picture above is some brine I made up for dried beef showing 1/2 cups for sugar and brown sugar and 1 full cup for salt, plus 1/2 tbsp of cure, then into 1/2 gal water:

06300e08_015.jpg

then pumped the eye of round so it will cure from the inside out as well as the outside in:

650253a2_017.jpg

Then soaked for a week (of course in the fridge):

797c5aa5_019.jpg

Then smoked (this was on my Cabela's electric):

6e82ae6f_002.jpg

sliced thin for dried beef on toast with gravy! (SOS)

0f1ce94a_005.jpg

Makes great stuff, and easy to make with no complicated ingredients!  You can get instacure #1 at Butcher Packer (known as 'DQ cure #1'):

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237_12&products_id=56

Bacon on a stick will be a must try soon. Any chance you might share your cure? I made belly bacon once so far with a dry cure.

Last edited:
All looks GREAT Pops!

I gotta try that bacon on a stick! I guess I can dry cure it with my TQ, just like I do my bacon, right?

I can see why it all disappeared so fast!

Bear

Last edited:
All looks GREAT Pops!

I gotta try that bacon on a stick! I guess I can dry cure it with my TQ, just like I do my bacon, right?

I can see why it all disappeared so fast!

Bear
Sure, should be the same, just don't want to cure it quite as long as it's thinner in most spots; the thicker brisket end is mostly bone anyways.  You can smoke it; I'm going to take the brisket from it and cook it up on the grill... like burnt ends...!

My... Dear... God... What have you done??? Bacon on a stick??? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I wish I could nominate you for a Nobel Peace Prize for Deliciousness!!!

It's a beautiful thing, my friend... Thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Johnny K.

Here they are in a bucket with a gal. ziploc bag half-full of water holding them down in the brine:

so you don't put them in a ziplock bag, there in a pan with the ziplock holding them down  do you turn them every day??  I have got to try this but am not sure what or how to do it 
icon_question.gif

so you don't put them in a ziplock bag, there in a pan with the ziplock holding them down  do you turn them every day??  I have got to try this but am not sure what or how to do it 
icon_question.gif
Just put the meat in a bucket, cover with brine.  It will float, so you weight it down with something.  I use a ziploc bag as it's sanitary and fill it half full of water, squeezing out most the air from it.  Then put it in the fridge and let it soak.  You don't need to turn it or anything.  I pickled a ham for Easter and put it in a big bucket with brine and a half full ziploc of water on top of it for a month earlier this spring; just left it in the fridge to do it's thing, never touched it until I took it out and smoked it; couldn't be simpler!  Just like pickling eggs - put 'em in and let 'em pickle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky