• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Below is Pops Brine for Easy Bacon and other meats.

Note: The High Sugar content will cause Bacon Fried in a Pan or Oven Baked above 325°F to Burn! Pops' once told me to reduce to 1/4C of Each or leave out the Sugar...In Memory of Pops, enjoy...JJ

Real simple curing brine:

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 24hours for Chicken.
2-3 days for turkeys.
8-10 days buckboard bacon.
10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts.
3-4 weeks whole hams.
10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)
Note: If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

This is what I've been using for bacon for years and I love the simplicity.
Recently my wife had to go on a low salt diet (2000mg a day). I didn't know you could cut back the salt to 1/3 cup and still have a brine. I thought we were going to have to just give up bacon, but this may be an option. Should you back off on the sugar a bit, too?
Funny, I'm basically following the same diet now, and you do learn to not really miss salt. I fried up some of my bacon a few days ago (mainly to get it out of the freezer because she couldn't have it) and I couldn't believe how salty it was. Seemed like that's all I could taste.....

Note: type of salt matters here. Pop's used SEA salt and is course grained. If using table salt use half the stated amount. IE: When I use his low salt version with table salt I uese is 1/4C.

Reactions: Jmac61
Note: type of salt matters here. Pop's used SEA salt and is course grained. If using table salt use half the stated amount. IE: When I use his low salt version with table salt I uese is 1/4C.
Sam be sure your table salt is non iodized
Any salt used should be non iodized
Richie
I use distilled water when I make mine

Started a Pork Butt 2/22 for my Easter Ham using the lower salt.
Richie
I like the idea! We have a Cooks butt portion Ham in the freezer we had planned for Easter, but at 950mg per"serving" that's just out of the question now....
How long are you curing it? Do I have time if I get it in the bucket in the next few days?
Dan

I like the idea! We have a Cooks butt portion Ham in the freezer we had planned for Easter, but at 950mg per"serving" that's just out of the question now....
How long are you curing it? Do I have time if I get it in the bucket in the next few days?
Dan
Dan I am doing 30 day minimum gives me time to get a good weather day, then I can put it in the oven Easter
Richie

Dan I am doing 30 day minimum gives me time to get a good weather day, then I can put it in the oven Easter
Richie
Got me thinking of dropping a butt in for a long soak. Thanks for the inspiration!

I've been using Mortons Kosher.
My post was just a FYI for others and not directed at you. Kosher is coarse grained so you're good to go!

Sam be sure your table salt is non iodized
Any salt used should be non iodized
Richie
I use distilled water when I make mine
Richie, I would normally agree with you except I have done tests and a little research about this. Back when I went down that rabbit hole I stumbled upon the real reason many people think iodized is "bad" and is actually related to my first post. Most people that substitute table salt for coarse salt do not reduce...

Never experimented with brining. Can I brine a pork loin into a ham for Easter? If so when would be the best time to get it brining? I see the above posters going for 30days with a butt, will a loin need a similar time or less?

Reactions: zwiller
Richie, I would normally agree with you except I have done tests and a little research about this. Back when I went down that rabbit hole I stumbled upon the real reason many people think iodized is "bad" and is actually related to my first post. Most people that substitute table salt for coarse salt do not reduce...
I am going by what Pops posted when I 1st started doing it.
I believe this is also good info for this post JJ if you feel this is a High Jack feel free to delete it
Richie

I use plain non-iodized table salt, a low of 1/3rd of a cup to a high of 1 cup. I am on a salt-restricted diet so I gravitate to the 1/3 rd cup myself, but anywhere in between it's up to you; my preference is not by taste, but by lo-salt content (if I had my druthers, I'd druther have 1 cup myself, but the doctor sez "NO NO!"). And this is what it's all about; your preferences within acceptable limits.

I had to look back through my brining notes, but this ↑↑↑ post was from 2013. Later postings from Pop's did mention a change to sea salt but I assumed he was taking about a product like Real Salt from Utah which is about the same grind as table salt. Anyways, when I began using Pop's Brine I experimented and found the amount of salt I liked and weighed it. For me, 125 grams of salt / gallon of water is my sweet spot. I use canning salt in all my brines because it dissolves very easily in room temperature water.

Never experimented with brining. Can I brine a pork loin into a ham for Easter? If so when would be the best time to get it brining? I see the above posters going for 30days with a butt, will a loin need a similar time or less?
You would need to do some injecting, but need less time. Tropics was giving himself some leeway so if he had a good weather day up there in MA he could take advantage and get it smoked.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I have been using this recipe for my bacon. The only problem is everyone who has tried it wants more and I need to keep making more. I reduce the salt too. It is so good.

Got me thinking of dropping a butt in for a long soak. Thanks for the inspiration!
KIMG0649.JPG

Just in case you needed any more...

I had to look back through my brining notes, but this ↑↑↑ post was from 2013. Later postings from Pop's did mention a change to sea salt
Thank for confirming Wayne. I am was not aware he changed it. The post I used said sea salt. I used to use canning salt as it was close to sea salt in my mind but ran out and I had like 5-6 other salts on hand so I decided to test and see if I could detect any differences, I didn't. All same weight in same amount of water.

Heck yeah you can! That's called canadian bacon. I do one every Easter. I inject so only need a few days but I do a week. ROT for brining is 1/4" thickness per day for cure penetration but most say anything over 2" should be injected.

Just be careful of the pink salt in liquid brines. Sodium nitrite (and other salts) diffuse into meat far faster than than other brine additives like sugars or the water base itself. So it's a little hard to predict exactly how much NaNO2 goes into your cook, and in particular into a single generous portion, when you wet-brine. Based on the water volume, you may think you're throwing most of it away, but probably a lot more of the NaCl and NaNO2 went into the meat than you think.

Dry rubs OTOH are much easier to control. And maybe it's just me, but I never seem to cook a large cut when I had planned to, so my meats brine typically 3-12 hours longer than I plan. And frequently get too salty.

A conservative approach would be to assume all the pink salt goes into the meat even if I dump out a lot of brine. For the recipe above, that's 3 tsp, which by the 1tsp-5# rule means you want to have 15pounds of meat in that brine. Probably overly conservative but something to consider.

A conservative approach would be to assume all the pink salt goes into the meat even if I dump out a lot of brine. For the recipe above, that's 3 tsp, which by the 1tsp-5# rule means you want to have 15pounds of meat in that brine. Probably overly conservative but something to consider.

I'm not following you on the 1 tsp - 5# rule. That's for a dry cure.

Isn't it correct that for a calculation of Cure #1 in a wet cure you use weight of water, weight of meat and weight of ingredient (but some omit the ingredients). Once you arrive at the total weight, you calculate the amount of Cure #1 needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky