Pop's brined whole chicken injected and soaked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Got some whole birds at Gordon's food service . Mixed up a gallon of Pop's brine , low salt . I've been adding lemon extract , so for 1 gallon I use 1/2 cup kosher salt , 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar plus 1 TBLS cure 1 . To that I have been adding 1/2 tsp lemon extract . I completely inject the whole bird . Breast , legs , thighs , back and even all parts of the wings . Then I put it in the brine for 48 hours . I keep my fridge temp at 36 degrees .
After the soak I dried it off and covered in a no salt rub I buy across the river . Trussed the bird and back in the fridge to dry over night .
Plan was do this on my 26 " kettle , but since the 50 mph winds we had last week SMASHED it into my patio , I ended up using the oven .
I put it in a pre heated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes , then turn the heat down to 350 . Finish temp in the breast was 167 .
This came out fantastic . The lemon extract really adds to this .
Not alot of pics , but wanted to show the results of the pump and the soak . Wish I would have weighed it before and after , because this soaked up so much flavor . Moist and tender .
Out of the bag , washed off and dried , even though it's gonna brine I do this for injecting .
So this is before injecting / soaking
20191130_215129.jpg
These pics are after I injected , then in brine for 48 hours .
Rub applied . You can see the difference in the legs , breast and even the wings .
Tie your birds . Not that hard , and it makes a difference in the cook .
20191130_220956.jpg 20191130_221004.jpg
I missed the pic of the whole bird cooked , but you can see some of the skin color on the plated pic .
The 425 start temp seals the outside , and the lower temp of 350 cooks the bird without burning the skin .
Normally I would not use a sugar type rub at those temps , but plans got changed due to wind conditions and it worked out .
Great meal . Some of the best poultry I have had . The lemon flavor really adds to it . Not much conversation at this meal .
My late Father in law used to say " No body's talkin , must be good "
20191201_192401.jpg
Thanks for lookin .

Attachments

• 20191201_164008.jpg
    20191201_164008.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191201_170103.jpg
    20191201_170103.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 23
Nooo!:emoji_scream: Sorry to hear of the 26's fate.You still have time to mail a letter to Santa!
Good looking bird and meal.I too like to cure my poultry 48-72 hours max.
I have done lemon and orange zest with tasty results.

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
Tasty looking yard bird there!
Thank you Steve .
Rich that is some nice color on that bird LIKES
Richie , wish I had got the whole bird pic . Next time .
Thanks bud .
I have done lemon and orange zest with tasty results.
I was thinking orange . I had the lemon extract from some sausage I made . Works great for this .
Thanks for lookin
Looks fantastic!
Thanks Al . Some smoke would have been nice , just way to windy .
Looks great. Pops is so easy to use for poultry.
It sure is Adam . Fantastic results . Thanks .
Nice job sounds like it had a fantastic taste.
Thanks Warren . The lemon really adds to it . I worked my way up to 1/2 tsp per the gallon .
If you try it start with 1/4 and go from there .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky