Pops brine or dry cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
I have done belly bacon and back bacon a few times. I prefer the back bacon done in pops brine, but I have never done belly bacon in Pops brine.

Have any tried both when making belly bacon? Which method did you prefer?

i've done buckboard bacon both ways, they both are good but prefer pop's because I don't have to worry about flipping them around daily with pop's it's like a set it and forget, although you do need more room in fridge for the buckets, the flavor is pretty close between the both maybe the dry cure has a little more intense flavor if that makes sense. hope this helps a little

Reactions: hondabbq
I've switched to dry rub cure... I don't like the water in the bacon.. I prefer the more intense bacon flavor from the dry method....

Reactions: hondabbq
I have done belly bacon and back bacon a few times. I prefer the back bacon done in pops brine, but I have never done belly bacon in Pops brine.

Have any tried both when making belly bacon? Which method did you prefer?

I've tried both.

Both very good.
Give Pop's Brine a try.
Easy, consistent excellent results.

You don't have to use a bucket, there are larger zip loc bags available you can use also: 2 gal. at Walmart

You don't have to use a bucket, there are larger zip loc bags available you can use also: 2 gal. at Walmart
i've thought about using bags but I wasn't sure if I would be able to submerge the meat totally, with the bucket I used a plate to keep it submerged, does it have to be totally submerged in your brine?

I personally like Pops wet brine better than dry. I've used the wet for curing hams, smoked pork chops, CB, belly bacon and feel its easier to handle and presents a bit better flavor. On the dry side of things you should check out BearCarvers dry cure. Its also great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky