Poppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Any piece of meat with jalapeno peppers and wrapped in bacon, around me here in South Carolina, we've always called them jalapeno poppers. So after reading many, many threads on here about ABTs, I got a hankering for some and decided that it was time to make them using a couple of ideas I've acquired from others.

Here's the line up:
-Biggest jalapeno peppers that I could find, these are about 4" long. Cut a side off to make a boat like thirdeye thirdeye has done
-1 8oz block of cream cheese softened
-1 T J.O.s #2
-12 16-20 count local shrimp
-Low sodium bacon
20210402_123146.jpg

Mix the tablespoon of J.O.s into the cheese and stuff the boats. Then lay 2 shrimp on top of each.
20210402_123744.jpg

Wrap with a slice of bacon and the next stop is the grill.
20210402_124615.jpg

Smoked with cherry wood indirectly trying to hold the temp around 275℉. This picture is after about 30 minutes.
20210402_155837.jpg

About an hour later and they are ready for the broiler.
20210402_165257.jpg

Didn't get finished pictures because people were STARVING, but they slowed down a little when they bit into a hot popper :emoji_wink:
The spicy heat wasn't really there so I think next time I'll add a little cayenne to the mix and maybe top them with something sweet to offset the heat, but everyone was pleased.

Last edited:
Looks great! I've done them with shrimp as well. Though I finally dice them and mix into the cheese. Your way looks intriguing.
Oh, if want want heat. Leave a few of the seeds in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Definitely look delicious! Funny how we all know just how hot they were biting into them (temp wise)!

Ryan

Looks great! I too find the heat dissipates after smoking. Now I also make Habanero ABTs for me.

Never heard of jo seasoning had to google I need to try this although I don’t have room for more seasoning
The #2 is a little spicier than #1. It's not available here in South Carolina, a little too far south I guess, but I found out about their seasoning through our son's girlfriend who was raised on the coast of Maryland. Her family is in the seafood business, crabbing and oyster farming, and they like the #2 the best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky